Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New construction/painted brick

We are in the framing stage of our new home which is being built in an old neighborhood, colonial style. We want to paint the brick "Paris White" (older S/W color). ANy advice on prep/paint would be greatly appreciated.
Ps--our current home is painted brick and we have painted it only twice in 30 years (and it looks very good throughout that time). We did not build this house, however.

fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,052

Why not just get a white brick?

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #3

just doesn't have the same look. It just looks like white brick, which I do NOT like. Hard to explain, I suppose.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,052

I know what ya mean on the look. I think you need to wait for the mortar to cure (29 days they say) before you paint. Make sure you have a sound surface free of any dust or dirt. A good power washer will do the job. To be honest I have not done many paint jobs on raw brick, but I have heard that wetting the surface right before painting helps it penetrate better.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

Fisheye, I've done some work thru the years on painted brick homes, & I have to say I've been impressed with the look. The best scenario I've seen is when they use concrete brick with the intentions of painting them from the beginning. IMO they are the cheapest brick, strong, are the easiest to work with, have a good texture with paint & hold paint the best. I would also suggest 30 days curing minimum before painting.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #6

Thank you both for the great advice!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

very good advice about waiting at least 4 weeks or so before painting - it is imperative you do that. Afterwards I would make sure the bricks are clean and dry and would apply a penetrating masonry primer (ben moore makes one - I'm sure S/W does as well) - it comes in white. After that dries, I would apply your exterior latex house paint - again Ben Moore makes a couple of differnt lines - exterior Aura being their best. Now the exterior Aura is self priming - however, over new brick I would still be tempted to prime first - it might be worth a call to either Ben Moore's or S/W's tech support to see what they suggest. I would definitely suggest doing this in the spring if you can, or the fall, not in the harsh summer heat. Also you don't want it to be too humid out. Nice 70 degree dry days would be best - not going below 50 or so at night.

good luck!
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #8

I appreciate the advice on the mortar set-up/cure, the prep of cleaning, seasonal considerations, and the primer/paint. I have read somewhere that it is, indeed, a good idea to "overkill" on primer and paint when painting brick. What about the Loxon primer and Duration paint (all s/w)? The paint has some type of acrylic blend.
I'm sure Benjamin Moore has something that is comparable!
Thanks!!