Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #1

Share |

New Construction

We have picked out 7 different colors for the interior and we are starting to thing that is way too many. We have the same color for all three bathrooms, a 2nd color in the bonus room, a 3rd color in the kitchen, a 4th color in the master BR, a 5th color in the baby's room, a 6th color in the dining room, and a 7th color for hallways, great room, etc.

Is that too many?

Also, what are some recommendations for a wall color for ivory cabinets with chocolate glaze? They have a cream color look to them. We have seen some go with a light peach color on the walls.
gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
handpaintedbysteve.com

New Construction

Hey gamecock,
It has been my experience that the smaller homes were finished using a multitude of colors mainly due to the lack of furnishings and accessories by the owners, whereas the larger homes I have done were primarily finished using not more than two colors allowing their accessories to decorate the rooms.

As for color selection, I have lived by the philosophy of being the applicator not the coordinator. A friend with a good eye for color or an interior designer would be your best bet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #3

New Construction

THat may be more than typical these days but 7 colors is not outrageous, especially if you have kids. The question shouldn't be 'are there too many', but 'how do they work together'. If any of them are similar to another one, or very similar, then they can probably be counted as one color, as it is often hard to tell similar colors apart once they are applied. What are the colors anyways?
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #4

New Construction

I know everyone today loves lots of color on the interior walls of their home, but I am "old school" and like to see ONE color throughout the house. Live there for a few years & see how the light/sunlight/shadows affect a room and then pick different colors to put on. Plus, with ONE color for now, you make it easy for touch-ups.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote