New Ceiling Paint Separation - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

New ceiling paint separation


About 2 months ago I removed the textured ceiling from my living room and painted the drywall ceiling. The ceiling was cleaned, mud feathered, cleaned, and primed before painting. Last week I noticed a crack in the paint next to the crown molding. Investigating I found the paint was separating from the ceiling drywall. Continuing to see how much separation I had I used a scraper and the paint just peeled off AND there is no evidence of the ceiling drywall EVER being primed. (It was not primed prior to blown texture original installation.) The primer bonded to the paint but not the drywall. I now have peeled off a spot about 12 sq ft with no evidence of primer. I know the paint will continue to separate and possibly come down in the entire room, so fixing now is a must.

I spent a great deal of time on this ceiling getting it to look right and thought I took all the correct preparation steps. I do not want to go through this again. SO.o.o.o.o.o., I need some opinion as to what went wrong.

Old surface---unprimed blown texture (removed)
Primer used----Valspar drywall primer
Top-coat----Zinsser ceiling-primer paint
Surface prep---removed texture, repaired ceiling, sanded, and wiped down

I have experienced a similar condition when I removed the texture from a bathroom ceiling when the paint cracked and started to peel.

Question: Is there anything in blown textured ceiling (popcorn) that could prevent primer from adhering to it the drywall? Also, how do I ensure the repair of the current condition will prevent re-occurrence?

Any recommendations appreciated.

John

Advertisement

Nonyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,860
Rewards Points: 2,228
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Maybe a quality primer from a store that specializes in paint?

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

New ceiling paint separation


The mud in popcorn texture has no strength- turns to powder very easily.
Best to sand off before priming, then use a good penetrating primer to seal.
It will keep a so so primer from adhering.
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,669
Rewards Points: 2,096
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Have a drywall guy come in and put up new drywall right over the existing, tape, and mud and properly prime it, and be done with it. Something has impregnated the face of the old drywall. If the texture was silicone based, you will never get anything to stick to it. No sense fighting it, IMO.
__________________
" A lot of men build things, and a lot of things fall down "

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Silicone based texture? Find it. It doesn't exist.

Stick with roofs. Really.
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,392
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Here we go again. Ugh!
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (04-01-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,392
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

New ceiling paint separation


John, if you can live with it, I would let the ceiling age another month or so to see if anything else fails. It may not. Before you go trying to strip paint that won't fail it's worth a shot. I would then follow BJ's advice and sand the area, then wipe it with clear rinse, prime it with Gardz or 123 then finish. The few times I've removed texture/popcorn, I treated it like a wallpaper removal. Soaked it, scraped it off, and rinsed it thoroughly. Then I sanded it and dusted it off prior to priming. I used Zinsser Cover Stain on mine.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,860
Rewards Points: 2,228
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
John, if you can live with it, I would let the ceiling age another month or so to see if anything else fails. It may not. Before you go trying to strip paint that won't fail it's worth a shot. I would then follow BJ's advice and sand the area, then wipe it with clear rinse, prime it with Gardz or 123 then finish. The few times I've removed texture/popcorn, I treated it like a wallpaper removal. Soaked it, scraped it off, and rinsed it thoroughly. Then I sanded it and dusted it off prior to priming. I used Zinsser Cover Stain on mine.

That will work, or you could take the roof guys advise(silicone texture)
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Thanks for the replies. I have cleaned the area I peeled off and primed it with a bonding primer. I could have kept going with the peel job but believe I should be a little patient with the situation and I am going to let the new primed area set for awhile to see what will happen. I am still puzzled as to why there is no evidence of primer application to the drywall. There was either something in the texture or the primer was inferior. It could be either yet I tend to feel the former is the case but I should have at least seen evidence of the original primer application as the ceiling soaked up nearly 2 gallons of primer. No Kidding! I am between a rock and a hard place for now but will wait and see. I did speak with the paint company and they haven't a clue except it certainly isn't the paint. DAH!!!! As a side note I have had a problem with a bath ceiling I removed the texture and repainted, but this ceiling cracked. Different primer, but similar results. So I wonder.

I have read somewhere that if you always use bonding primer your problems go away.

Why I agreed to my wife's suggestion of painting the ceiling and not re-blowing I do not know. Again, thanks for the replies.

John
Nonyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,860
Rewards Points: 2,228
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonyab View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have cleaned the area I peeled off and primed it with a bonding primer. I could have kept going with the peel job but believe I should be a little patient with the situation and I am going to let the new primed area set for awhile to see what will happen. I am still puzzled as to why there is no evidence of primer application to the drywall. There was either something in the texture or the primer was inferior. It could be either yet I tend to feel the former is the case but I should have at least seen evidence of the original primer application as the ceiling soaked up nearly 2 gallons of primer. No Kidding! I am between a rock and a hard place for now but will wait and see. I did speak with the paint company and they haven't a clue except it certainly isn't the paint. DAH!!!! As a side note I have had a problem with a bath ceiling I removed the texture and repainted, but this ceiling cracked. Different primer, but similar results. So I wonder.

I have read somewhere that if you always use bonding primer your problems go away.

Why I agreed to my wife's suggestion of painting the ceiling and not re-blowing I do not know. Again, thanks for the replies.

John

They might not go away but if you ditch the Valspar crap the chances are much better
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,817
Rewards Points: 2,670
Default

New ceiling paint separation


I really don't think you could go wrong with a coat of Gardz. Add a little white primer to it so you can see where you have been. Let it sit a couple days and try to peel it off.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,817
Rewards Points: 2,670
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Have a drywall guy come in and put up new drywall right over the existing, tape, and mud and properly prime it, and be done with it. Something has impregnated the face of the old drywall. If the texture was silicone based, you will never get anything to stick to it. No sense fighting it, IMO.
OMG
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
They might not go away but if you ditch the Valspar crap the chances are much better
I doubt I could have described Valspar, or Olympic either, any better.
Nonyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I really don't think you could go wrong with a coat of Gardz. Add a little white primer to it so you can see where you have been. Let it sit a couple days and try to peel it off.

Never used Guardz but sounds like what I need. Not sold in my area. Does it have to be primed prior to topcoat? Description does not say.
Nonyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,817
Rewards Points: 2,670
Default

New ceiling paint separation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonyab View Post
Never used Guardz but sounds like what I need. Not sold in my area. Does it have to be primed prior to topcoat? Description does not say.
No gardz is a primer and yes it can be hard to find most big box stores don't carry nor does sherwin williams. Try calling some of the local paint stores. That is how I found it.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repainting Room With Peeling Paint: Advice Needed Magnetic Painting 8 10-15-2012 06:19 PM
SW Brilliance Ceiling Paint - Seeing Roller marks bentleyvt Painting 50 03-22-2012 12:33 PM
Ceiling Paint White versus Wall Paint White David Riley Drywall & Plaster 1 01-13-2011 10:16 AM
peeled ceiling paint off, how to fix? philosophical Painting 3 10-19-2010 05:28 PM
semi gloss enamel vs eggshell enamel NoExperience Painting 18 03-05-2009 05:57 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts