Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

Share |

A new behr product

SDS I know how much you have been waiting on this. I just read on another site that- are you ready Behr has a new paint line called Marquee. I know your thrilled but try to settle down. Don"t know a lot about it except it's supposed to dry quicker, fade less, and it's $50 a gallon.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #2

A new behr product

We need latex paint to dry quicker?

The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

A new behr product

I am done getting worked up about Behr and the people who use it. The honest truth is my clients never would have let me near the properties with the horrid stuff and the only time I had to suffer it was when it was donated. I do hate to see people use an inferior product but you know, it is there time and money. "Good enough for milspec" was a term I used in a past life drawing idiot manuals for satellite telemetry and missile trajectory computer flowcharts for a defense contractor to the Air Force and NASA. "Good enough for consumers" works for me and those that want to buy Behr from now on. If they don't care I certainly do not have to loose sleep over it.

And like I said elsewhere, the one really nice thing about Behr is you never have to wait in line behind painters waiting for their paint orders to get a gallon like you might at a real paint store early in the morning. And young minimum wage people have to gain experience somewhere. Why not behind the paint counter, with no training, at HD?

Last edited by user1007; 04-30-2013 at 12:22 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #4

A new behr product

They supposedly claim that it has a non-stick ingredient like Teflon to reject dirt. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

A new behr product

Sorry SDS was just needling you a little bit. But at $50 a gal kinda takes them out of the cheap paint field.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

A new behr product

I do remember when actual trademarked Teflon was hyped as a part of paint. I think that would have been 20+ years ago and DuPont may have had direct consumer brands but not sure my memory is correct on this?

The hype went away when people complained that while you could, in theory, wash the paint, it was still not going on well and adhering in the first place and peeling off.

Who knows why HD would bring a $50/gallon paint to market. I am too cynical to think it is for the good of the consumer unless they are making $49/gallon for shareholders. Maybe they have found God, are born again with corporate responsibility to consumers as stakeholders, and have seen the evil in misleading people! I will try to keep an open mind. Frogive me if I do not encourage people to race out and buy the stuff. At $50/gallon they are well within reach of top, real, paint store brands.

And, I thought Behrly Paint Premium offered extreme washability and color fastness in addition to one coat coverage and paint and primer in one? Are they saying maybe not so much or that the new stuff is better than extreme?

Off to buy paint for a little personal project. I will not be going to HD even though there is one close and when researching something for a book project the young lady in the apron behind the paint counter was really cute even if she did know nothing about paint and painting. If I were 30-40 years younger I might pay $50/gallon for paint in whatever color she liked just to chat with her more (if I could figure out the part-time schedule she is on so HD does not have to provide her with real health insurance like the independent with the Ben Moore dealership does gladly to her full-time twin sister they are actually training!), donate the paint to some unsuspecting charity that would dare not say no even as they cringed, and see what happened. If I dressed in clean whites, I would be the only pro painter buying paint. There are too many men in white chatting up her twin sister.

Last edited by user1007; 05-01-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
JOATMON

A new behr product

The Behr paint vs SW vs Walmart vs etc reminds me of the Snap On vs Craftsman vs SK....etc.

For what ever reason, people have their brand preference....and tend to be very emotional about it...

For me....the Behr has performed well....I painted my house about 7 years ago....the front faces south...and I would be willing to bet that on average, it receives more sunlight than houses in other parts of the country...I don't need to repaint it yet....if I had to guess....I'm good for 2-3 more years?

So...as with the tool debate....I'm at a loss as to how it receives it's bad rep.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

A new behr product

Look. Behr and other consumer brands probably do get a bad rep from us pros, or former pros in my case. It is what it is and it clearly strikes a consumer market nerve.

Your tool analogy is not a bad one. In a past life when not working in the trades, I restored British sports cars and sailboats to keep my sanity. I worked on them evenings and weekends and felt some degree of comfort reaching for a Craftsman screwdriver or socket wrench. I have a complete basic set of Craftsman hand tools my high school sweetie gave me too many decades ago to count. I was a PMT for Sears once and part of my job was rebuilding ratchet handles to exchange under lifetime warranty. The castings and plating are, quite possibly, indestrutible although I can no longer exchange my ratchets for the same models because the rebuild kits are no longer available. Non-issue as all still work just fine.

Did I ever imagine I could use my Craftsman tools to bust stuck nuts loose hour after hour, day after day, like a mechanic could everyday with a Snap-On socket and an air wrench? Of course not. Could they have worked? Perhaps. Craftsman was never so bold as to claim to be the same.

Behr says it is. Labels don't match higher end paint but like with my socket set, maybe the stuff is fine for the occassional needs---and more importantly the expectations of the DIY homeowner. And saving $80/gallon and doing the job yourself, primer and paint in one and with one coat does come with some bragging rights.

I could not afford to use it, and as mentioned only did when it was donated. I needed primers and paints I knew would flow on within the time I bid and hold up to perhaps the more discerning expectations of rather highend home and business property owners. Attitude reeking of snobbishness? Not really.

All factors considered, the major cost to people who hired me, was me. The difference in paint (or other building material) cost could be noticeable but was never the major factor in things. If I had to spend a day battling cheap--as sold at HD---fasteners that broke it became an issue quickly.

I do understand this equation changes with the DIYer that puts no value on their time doing home improvement. Material costs are the only ones that matter. I also had to be able to walk away knowing I left a product behind that was going to last and not have me showing up to fix it. I could not trust Behr on the walls and from my experience, not much else that HD sells in these terms.

My main issue with box stores remains that without pros and rather stringent demands for product quality, they can sell whatever they want. When they squeeze all the independents out, they will also be able to price the crap at whatever price point they want too. And they give nothing back to the communities in which they operate. Their part-time employees, if they get health insurance access, cannot afford family coverage so the dollar I save with them comes back to bite me tenfold in increased taxes because of the load on public health resources. Many communities get sucked into the glamour of the places and give them great property tax incentives to come to town and stay too. So, they do not even pay their fair share toward parks, police, fire and those kinds of things.

And, I know it is perhaps a small thing. But it comes up often that the only people left buying things like little league or girls drill or dance team t-shirts are local bars. You might get Nascar sponsorship out of HD or Lowe's but try your very best to get 12 tshirts for a local team of young ones. "You will have to talk to corporate. And, if we give you 12 we will have to give them to every team in the neighborhoods that ask!"

So? They replaced all the Mom and Pops that used to do so. Doesn't it come with the territory? Of course, if your community has 12 teams, each needing 12 shirts at $6 each in full color? We are talking a chunk of moola that could bring HD and others to their knees right? They are the epitomy of unleashed, irresponsible, corporate greed.

Last edited by user1007; 05-01-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #9

A new behr product

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
So? They replaced all the Mom and Pops that used to do so. Doesn't it come with the territory? Of course, if your community has 12 teams, each needing 12 shirts at $6 each in full color? We are talking a chunk of moola that could bring HD and others to their knees right? They are the epitomy of unleashed, irresponsible, corporate greed.
And the average consumer is the epitome of selfish narcissism. The consumer is greedy enough to want to save a little change on that item that he could have bought at Mom and Pop's Hardware store (thereby helping them stay in business and pay for some kids' t-shirts), and en masse supports the big box stores and forces Mom and Pop out of business. The consumer has his choice of where to spend his money, and he does so at the big box store. If you only shop at small privately owned shops, cheers to you. Living in an old neighborhood in the city, I do my best to spend my money at local small stores. Sure it's more expensive, but I guess I'm just nostalgic that way. It's sad to walk a block or two from my house, down a street once bustling with all kinds of real commerce, to see loads of "for lease" signs interspersed with nail salons and liquor stores. And this is in a nice neighborhood. Of course, it sure as hell is convenient to run over to Home Depot at 8pm on a Saturday night when I'm in the middle of a project and I need another bucket of <fill in the blank.>

The whole "evil soulless corporate" diatribe has gotten way too much mileage lately, because it takes any of the responsibility from where it starts: the consumer, and especially his lack of accountability. This country is full of it: The cute little local hardware store went out of business? Blame Menards. Obesity crisis? Blame McDonalds. Kids getting shot? Blame the gun manufacturers (and NRA and George Bush while you're at it). And my favorite: industry in the toilet? Blame China. If the people actually spending the money thought beyond their own "greed," then Home Depot, et al. wouldn't be as successful. But we don't, so they are.
Andiy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andiy For This Useful Post:
chrisn (05-02-2013), ToolSeeker (05-03-2013), Will22 (05-02-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #10

A new behr product

I kinda agree with the tool analogy but only to a point I think craftsman hand tools are very good tools. But and this is a big but, when you get into their power tools I think you have a problem.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #11

A new behr product

I kinda agree with the tool analogy but only to a point I think craftsman hand tools are very good tools. But and this is a big but, when you get into their power tools I think you have a problem. I think their power tools are middle of the road at best and I feel Behr paint is the same middle of the road. And for a lot of people middle of the road is good enough.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #12

A new behr product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiy View Post
The whole "evil soulless corporate" diatribe has gotten way too much mileage lately, because it takes any of the responsibility from where it starts: the consumer, and especially his lack of accountability. This country is full of it: The cute little local hardware store went out of business? Blame Menards. Obesity crisis? Blame McDonalds. Kids getting shot? Blame the gun manufacturers (and NRA and George Bush while you're at it). And my favorite: industry in the toilet? Blame China. If the people actually spending the money thought beyond their own "greed," then Home Depot, et al. wouldn't be as successful. But we don't, so they are.
Good post

Brushjockey (05-02-2013), Will22 (05-02-2013)