Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New to airless spraying

Hi,
First post here.
I Have a fair bit of painting in front of me.
  • 3000 sq ft house remodel. Full interior and partial ext.
  • 1700 sq ft (barn/garage/two stall horse set-up/ haystorage/workshop/guest room) yep, a multi-purpose bldg. It also needs interior repaint and partial exterior.
  • 500+ three rail hose fencing
  • 150' X6' painted stucco retaining wall
I managed to pick up an excellent cond. two year old Titan 440i sprayer for $350 on Craigslist. Owner had used it to paint exterior of his house, he estimates about he shot about 50gls.

SO I have am trying to get educated on how to care for the sprayer. there seems to be a lot of opinions on how to maintain the unit, specificly to storage. Mine came with a bottle of oil and a small amount of liquid shield and I need more. (SW was out)

I read antifreeze mixed 50/50 was essentially the same thing as pump armor and liquid shield. From what I can remember reading people recomended (50/50 antifreeze, RV antifreeze, mineral spirits, paint thinner and motor oil) I will most likely use the unit only to spray latex and I want to use whatever is the best thing is to keep the unit clean. Cost is not the big issue since it does not take a lot of fluid for storage. The unit will be used heavily initially but will just be a mantenance painter for the fencing and odd jobs after that. So what do you recommend as the best storage solution, short and long term?

Also need to put together a toolkit to maintain and service it. Any recommendations there?

Also, ~200-250' of hose will allow me to keep the unit plugged in with out an extension cord for spraying the fencing. Should I store unused hoses with antifreeze and capped or just open and empty?

And finally, when I put a half a teaspoon of oil in the oil cup it seems to just go into the pump and excess just drips out under the sprayer. the cup doesnt back up with oil, is that correct operation.

Sorry, for the long first post and thanks for the input!

DW

DW2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

New to airless spraying

You may want to call Titan and ask for a manual. It should tell you all you need to know about the maint. for your particular sprayer.

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

New to airless spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
You may want to call Titan and ask for a manual. It should tell you all you need to know about the maint. for your particular sprayer.

SirWired

I know your response was well intentioned and I know it is a DIY forum but...I didn't think someone would just say RTFM.
BTW, I have read the manual. The three questions I had were not covered in the manual, that is the reason I asked them here to see if anyone had some personal experience that they could share.

Since originally posting I had some feed back from other sources.
  • Storage option
RV water system antifreeze is non toxic and ok to dump after use, and, regular antifreeze based storage solutions will work but they are very toxic so don't dump it, recycle it at an appropriate recycling center. The RV antifreeze is Ethol alchohol and propylene glycol so I would think it would not be so good for corosion protection. (still not sure about most appropriate long term solution)
  • hose storage
on the unit is OK so long as it has no pressure
  • Leak from oil cup
SW guy said it was normal, excess just leaks out
DW
DW2002 is offline   Reply With Quote