Never Had A Paint Problem Till Now - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Never had a paint problem till now

I've painted my old house twice, and this is my first venture into painting a two story house. I chose satin since there are a ton of birds around here that leave their mark on the side of the house and I wanted something easier to clean than flat paint.
My problem is the sheen seems to be shiny in spots and less shiny in others, I'm rather picky and wanted to make sure I do the best I can. My thought is it has to do with the application since I'm up on a ladder with the sprayer.
My first go around I tried to cover as much as possible for every time up on the ladder, painting as I went down the ladder. After a day I decided to re-paint the worst side by doing only a few feet at a time, and moving the ladder down as I go trying to keep an even spray pattern. No luck. Some of the spots I didn't like before are better, but now there are other spots that are worse.
I figured a second coat should help since I originally thought it was due to light spots that I missed. But now I'm wondering if it's drying to fast and that the overspray is sticking to the spots just completed before I get back up the ladder. I'm almost to the point of buying another ten gallons and rolling it all on. Any advice?

Advertisement

jackie treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

There are a few things I would check. I am assuming you used a latex Satin exterior house paint - if you used an oil these first couple of points are even more important. So since I'm not 100% sure what you used, prep work, where you live, ect...I'll take some guesses.

First, and usually the easiest overlooked is to be sure the paint was thoroughly stirred. Satin paints could seperate and the "dulling agents" could seperate causing some shiny and dull spots. Usually see this more with oil than latex, but is certainly possible. Second, and very likely this time of year is moisture or humidity getting into the finish. Especially with oil paints taking longer to dry you will see this more, but again, could happen with latex. The only other thing that is coming to mind right now is priming. DId you prime? If so with what? Did you use an enamel underbody? Usually I would like to see an underbody type primer for satin finish paints, these will give a more uniform sheen level in the finish. As far as solutions go, I would give it a day or two to completely dry, and recoat on a DRY MILD day. Spraying should be fine but remember to stir the pot every so often..

good luck - hope that helps some

Advertisement

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,070

That sounds like just common flashing. Just have to keep a wet edge and even coverage. It is more common with a brush but can still lap up and look uneven with a sprayer.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

I agree about the flashing.

"As a general rule, only flat paint can be retouched without "flashing". Flashing is a term used by professionals to describe the obvious difference in finish that will occur when retouching old or shiny paints. Flashing is most obvious when viewing a surface from the side. Look down a wall while standing at one corner of a room. You will see all the imperfections in the surface when light is reflected off it. Any differences in the overall finish of the paint are called flashing."

It also happend with paints of any sheen when stopping and starting, which was happening when spraying by yourself.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #5

fyi, latex satin exterior. My thoughts are that to keep a wet edge I went about it wrong, by working from top to bottom of house instead of left to right. The other problem was it was mid eighties with a good breeze.
Now I need to decide whether to a)try my hand at spraying again but left to right early in the morning when it's cooler(with two different ladders to speed it up), or b)rolling the two sides I don't like.
The only thing I don't like is if I spray it again and get mediocre results it will seem like a waste of money, not much of a gambler I be.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Coatings Professional

Rewards Points: 10

Definitely go horizontal, not vertical. And if you are not using a primer then you will always have a blotchy finish....unless you triple coat.
Justabottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #7

I ended up rolling a side last night just cause I didn't want to screw it up again, and it looks as though it worked out good, haven't seen it in direct sunlight, but at dusk it looked good vs. day before.

Advertisement