DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Is it nessessary to prime? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/nessessary-prime-7195/)

sflamedic 03-18-2007 10:09 AM

Is it nessessary to prime?
 
I just sprayed knockdown on my walls and ceilings that where perviously painted. Do i need to prime everything before i paint or not? Would 2 coats of color work fine without priming

Darylh 03-18-2007 10:20 AM

I always prime drywall and texture before painting and apply 2 coats of finish paint. A flat or satin finish looks best on textured walls in fact I always use Ben Moore Ulti Mat.

AtlanticWBConst. 03-18-2007 10:44 AM

As Darylh said...a good practice is to prime anything that is 'raw drywall' material of 'one kind or another' ...... prior to applying your topcoats of paint.

slickshift 03-18-2007 04:36 PM

Yup, it's time to prime

joewho 03-19-2007 09:38 PM

The knockdown texture is the same as drywall joint compound. It's the same as going with paint on newly taped drywall. You can get away with a self priming flat paint, but it's a cheesy way to go.

Priming is the proper way to go.

Hamilton 03-21-2007 11:54 AM

We prime before AND after doing any texturing or repairs.

joewho 03-21-2007 06:00 PM

Texturing actually sticks better to bare drywall.

Hamilton 03-21-2007 06:32 PM

Absolutely, but he said it was painted...and who knows with what.

sflamedic 03-21-2007 10:06 PM

Yes the room was a finished room that i sprayed knockdown in. I primed and am waiting to pick a color. Question, what would have happened if i did not prime? What primer do you use and why? I used kilz and its as thick as glue, is that how all primers are? Thanks for all of the advise. The room is looking great.

slickshift 03-21-2007 10:51 PM

What Kilz did you use? there's over 1/2 dozen Kilz primers

Some primers go on like Elmer's glue, but usually those are for specific purposes (high blockers, etc...)

sflamedic 03-21-2007 10:52 PM

kilz2 latex

Hamilton 03-21-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Question, what would have happened if i did not prime? What primer do you use and why?
If you did not prime before applying the texture to a wall painted with old oil base paint there could be an adhesion problem.

Applying a finish coat on unprimed texture/drywall will cause flashing and poor adhesion.

flashing : Uneven gloss or color resulting from an unsealed substrate or excessively high or low temperatures during drying.

We use Zinsser primers 95% of the time, Dunn-Edwards the other 5%. It is not unusual for us to use almost as much primer on a job as we use for the finish coats (minimum two coats), especially on houses that have seen major neglect.

slickshift 03-21-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflamedic (Post 37843)
kilz2 latex

OK
Right product from that line for that application
It's just not a very good primer, that's all
It'll be fine for now, but next time I'd suggest using something else

Hamilton 03-21-2007 11:04 PM

Hey Slick, have you guys ever used "Guardz"?

Every paint store around here shakes their head when I ask for it, it looks like it might be the hot ticket for drywall.

slickshift 03-21-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamilton (Post 37847)
Hey Slick, have you guys ever used "Guardz"?

Oh yeah, it's a real miracle in a can
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamilton (Post 37847)
Every paint store around here shakes their head when I ask for it,

Try a different paint store
make sure it's a paint store, not a paint department somewhere, there's a big difference
Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams, or a true contractor supplier with quality coatings should have it
...try in the wallpaper section if it's not with the rest of the Zinsser stuff on the paint side
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamilton (Post 37847)
it looks like it might be the hot ticket for drywall.

New drywall?
You could I suppose
Not really the best stuff though
Sloppy as all get out and no "white" what so ever...it's clear

But when you've got a problem area, chalky paint, ripped or tearing drywall, 80 year old wallpaper adhesive that won't come off, Gardz is the stuff


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved