DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need tips for installing/painting moulding

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  leroyme 
#1 ·
I'm just looking for any tips as I've never done this before.

Just finished our renovation, painted all the walls and are in the middle of having the floors refinished. I saved installing baseboard moulding for last. I plan on getting pre-primed from Home Depot.

I don't think you're supposed to tape newly poly'd floors so any tips on protecting them? What if I put paper down under the moulding and then either cut it or pull it out from under it, once painted?

Also: I've got to use liquid nails to attach the moulding, so would it be a good idea to pre-paint, then touchup the caulking afterwards?

#2 ·
I prepaint molding whenever possible before I installing it. Why can't you uses finishing nails to fasten it, fill the holes and just touch it up? Liquid nails will never get it tight to the wall. If you will need to paint after then the paper is a good idea. Waxed paper would work best as it will slide out from under the molding easily.

#3 ·
Wax paper, great idea, thanks.

I can't nail because the walls are plaster on concrete. There is a wood strip imbedded in the very bottom of the wall which the old molding was nailed into but the strip and the original moulding are only about 1-3/4" high. I'd like to use a more standard (taller) size for the new moulding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.