Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

need sugestions on beadboard for kitchen backsplash

Hello, My wife and I were thinking to add some beadboard to the kitchen backsplash. We currently have laminate cabinets that look to be wood, we are changing the counter top to the cheap home center pre cut laminate tops. But I was thinking on either using the panel beadboard (mdf) or the ones made out of plywood that comes with 2 rows per sheet. I havent decided which one to choose, this is where you guys come in . also we were leaning towards just painting it the wall color we will choose. any special preperations to paint the mdf version? how about the plywood version? I took down pink 1/2 in tiles that were disgusting.

Fabian <----- First time home buyer!

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

for the mdf or plywood versions proper sealing will be needed to avoid moisture penetration. Particularly at all cuts and edges. Two coats of shellac will seal the edges. Painting the walls is still a better choice.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
for the mdf or plywood versions proper sealing will be needed to avoid moisture penetration. Particularly at all cuts and edges. Two coats of shellac will seal the edges. Painting the walls is still a better choice.
why would it be better just to paint the walls? the walls arent in great shape because of the tile backsplash i removed, so since time is also a concern i think i rather just put up the beadboard. should i cut, paint and install, or cut install then paint? should i go with a semi gloss? I can try to repair the wall and see how that comes out also
fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Unless you seal the edges perfectly (which can be done) you will eventually have issues with MDF or Plywood in this area. And wood backsplash would not be very safe in the stove area. Paint with semi-gloss or gloss. Use oil base paint. Have the paint store add mildicide to prevent mold and mildew. Cooking creates a lot of oil in the air and washing adds a lot of moisture. Paneling leaves lots of little indents to make adequate cleaning harder. All of these things are why I suggest painting the wall. Or maybe a formica backsplash. Some are metal and look fantastic.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote