Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Share |
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Hello everyone, first post from a newbie painter here.

We've decided to paint our recently purchased condo and are in the market for paints. After quite a bit of research I've narrowed down the options to BM Aura, Behr Premium Ultimate Plus and SW. However BM ($72/gallon) and Behr ($47/gallon) are now pretty much out of consideration after I find out that SW is having a 40% off sale for all their products. So the question now is which line of SW would be a better choice?

Emerald claims to be their top-of-the-line product and the price is really temping at about $40/gallon after discount. But it's only recently introduced and I read some mixed reviews here in the forum and on the SW website. Should I go for that or should I choose something safer such as Duration and Cashmere? And regarding to sheens, does it only come down to personal preferences? Are there any advantages or disadvantages for certain sheens for interior use?

I've done some reading on painting but I'd really appreciate if I could get some tips from you kind folks here. Any kinds of tips are welcomed, techniques, tools and etc. For example, I'm thinking of getting one of this from Amazon, would that be a good idea?

Thank you all in advance!

(I originally posted this on the painttalk forum but I didn't realize that's the forum for professional painting contractors. The moderator there suggested that I post in here)

chill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,768
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


As a lifelong user of SW paints, I highly recommend SuperPaint. No gimmicks, nothing fancy, just a hard-working, durable paint. It has always been my "go to" paint. Duration, Cashmere, Harmony, etc. are all quality paints, but, for the money and ease of use, SuperPaint cannot be beat.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
As a lifelong user of SW paints, I highly recommend SuperPaint. No gimmicks, nothing fancy, just a hard-working, durable paint. It has always been my "go to" paint. Duration, Cashmere, Harmony, etc. are all quality paints, but, for the money and ease of use, SuperPaint cannot be beat.
Thank you Gymschu! I didn't notice if they have SuperPaint when I was in store yesterday, but I'll definitely check with them as soon as we decide on colors.
chill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Bm also has Regal Select, Ben, Ultra Spec for less than Aura.
I use alot of Regal select, used some today. Nice paint.
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Quote:
Originally Posted by chill8 View Post
Hello everyone, first post from a newbie painter here.

We've decided to paint our recently purchased condo and are in the market for paints. After quite a bit of research I've narrowed down the options to BM Aura, Behr Premium Ultimate Plus and SW. However BM ($72/gallon) and Behr ($47/gallon) are now pretty much out of consideration after I find out that SW is having a 40% off sale for all their products. So the question now is which line of SW would be a better choice?

Emerald claims to be their top-of-the-line product and the price is really temping at about $40/gallon after discount. But it's only recently introduced and I read some mixed reviews here in the forum and on the SW website. Should I go for that or should I choose something safer such as Duration and Cashmere? And regarding to sheens, does it only come down to personal preferences? Are there any advantages or disadvantages for certain sheens for interior use?

I've done some reading on painting but I'd really appreciate if I could get some tips from you kind folks here. Any kinds of tips are welcomed, techniques, tools and etc. For example, I'm thinking of getting one of this from Amazon, would that be a good idea?

Thank you all in advance!

(I originally posted this on the painttalk forum but I didn't realize that's the forum for professional painting contractors. The moderator there suggested that I post in here)
Hi Chill....

I'm curious where you're from and why you've narrowed your options to only Ben Moore and SW? I am a huge advocate of often times local, regional manufacturers that are at least as high quality as the nationals (BM & SW), but at significantly lower prices...
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,246
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Skip the painting tool gimiks. You will spend way to much time cleaning it.
Roller pan, roller frame, 1/2 nap quaility roller covers, and a 2-1/2" quaility sash brush, some real painters drop cloths.
Learn how to paint the trim without using tape. It's going to be more expencive to use tape, will slow you down, may peel off the paint when it's removed and takes time to put it on.
Paint the ceilings first with flat ceiling paint. Paint the trim, then do all the cut in work before you start rolling the walls.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
Hi Chill....

I'm curious where you're from and why you've narrowed your options to only Ben Moore and SW? I am a huge advocate of often times local, regional manufacturers that are at least as high quality as the nationals (BM & SW), but at significantly lower prices...
Hi Ric,

I'm from Vancouver, BC in Canada. There are also some "local" brands here that only cost about half of BM and SW. I wanted to choose between BM and SW because they seem to be the most famous brand and are pretty well reviewed. This will be our first time doing painting but we know practically nothing about paints at all, so I think BM and SW would be a less adventurous choice.
chill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Skip the painting tool gimiks. You will spend way to much time cleaning it.
Roller pan, roller frame, 1/2 nap quaility roller covers, and a 2-1/2" quaility sash brush, some real painters drop cloths.
Learn how to paint the trim without using tape. It's going to be more expencive to use tape, will slow you down, may peel off the paint when it's removed and takes time to put it on.
Paint the ceilings first with flat ceiling paint. Paint the trim, then do all the cut in work before you start rolling the walls.
Thank you for the advice!

I have one question about painting the ceiling. Is that necessary or highly suggested ? Our ceiling is white and has those popcorn texture on it. Originally we didn't think we'd bother painting it, but as I'm researching here and there I'm kind of getting the idea that it's better have it painted as well.
chill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Quote:
Originally Posted by chill8 View Post
Hi Ric,

I'm from Vancouver, BC in Canada. There are also some "local" brands here that only cost about half of BM and SW. I wanted to choose between BM and SW because they seem to be the most famous brand and are pretty well reviewed. This will be our first time doing painting but we know practically nothing about paints at all, so I think BM and SW would be a less adventurous choice.
In Vancouver, you owe it to yourself to at least look at Rodda Paints - very high quality finishes comparable to anything SW or BM has - without all the marketing hype that the nationals must charge you for. There is nothing horribly wrong with national brands, I've just been in this business for way too many years, tested/used/sold & copied more brands of paint than many even know exists, and have always found regional manufacturers to hold the edge when it comes to quality and value.

The architecural paint business is a very competitive, no-growth industry - Companies grow only by taking business away from other manufacturers...and all manufacturers purchase their raw materials from the same sources. Trust me when I say this - No company (NONE) can sell their products for 40% off their suggested list unless the suggested list is a complete fabrication designed to fool an ignorant consumer. Especially as often as SW seems to run this same damned ad.

Look around - there are better deals to be had without compromising any quality (and, who knows? You may even get better service and advice)
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,768
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Popcorn can be painted but boy does it soak up the paint. Plan on double or triple the amount of paint you would use on a normal flat ceiling.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 43
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Ric, know of any regionals I could use down here in Greensboro, North Carolina? I looked around and couldn't spot any online. Couldn't even find a pratt and lambert dealer in town. I like to try and support smaller businesses when I can.
MEE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Quote:
Originally Posted by MEE123 View Post
Ric, know of any regionals I could use down here in Greensboro, North Carolina? I looked around and couldn't spot any online. Couldn't even find a pratt and lambert dealer in town. I like to try and support smaller businesses when I can.
Hiya Mee,

I think you're kinda close to the Raleigh/Durham markets, no? There are a few Davis (Davis Frost) Independent Dealers in your area - and, in my opinion, their Perfection line is one of the best products in the business (their Classic Collection line is pretty nifty also)...You might also check for Richard's Paint dealers in the area - For the price, Richard's has some really good products. You can find local dealer at both of their websites. Good luck.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
MEE123 (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
DIY Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 31
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Hey Chill,

No matter what kind of paint you buy IME it should work well as long as you take the time to prep the surface right. In contrast the best paint will perform poorly if what's behind it is in bad condition. I've never used a brand of paint that performed badly as long as the surface was prepped right (barring mfg defects covered by warranty/replacement). The finish is up to you, but typically a ceiling is flat (you can buy "ceiling paint" even) and walls are eggshell/semi-gloss. Personally I don't use gloss unless it's for a specific small area where it's wanted for aesthetic purposes. The surface has to be nearly perfect for glossy paint to look good.

So anyways, invest plenty of time in surface preparation. Assuming you're painting walls that have already been painted you will need to remove nails, scrape down protrusions, fill nail holes with spackle, and lightly sand the entire wall with medium grit sandpaper (100-150) or wall screen. Note that you should check to make sure your paint is not lead based if you're scraping and sanding. This sanding will dull any glossy finishes and remove residues and other imperfections that will show if you just paint over them. Then clean the walls with a damp sponge or some cheesecloth. Next, don't forget a primer. I find it helps a lot to put on a quick coat of primer. Nothing fancy, but it gives you a nice clean slate to work with.

As joe said don't mess with gimmicks.

For materials, instead of a roller pan I use a 5 gallon bucket with a paint grate hanging on the side. This allows you to haul around a whole gallon (or however much you need for the coat) without having to refill the pan constantly. You can get a ladder hook to hold the bucket securely on your ladder as well. The paint grate also provides a more even saturation of the roller (and you can set your brush on it while you're rolling). They're easy peasy to clean with a garden hose out in the yard.

finally, use a quality 2.5" angle sash brush and get a quality roller cover as well, I find 3/8" nap to be good for well prepped already painted surfaces. Before using the roller cover for the first time take 5 minutes and use your fingers to pull out as much of the loose fiber as you can. If you do this you will have very few (if any) "hairs" in the paint which IMO look crappy on a wall. And get a good dropcloth. I like to use a 3x15 canvas runner. This lets me usually paint an entire wall without having to move the dropcloth once. I'll also keep a shorter one for small areas and a large 12x12 when painting a ceiling or for covering furniture when sanding.

Good luck!
ajmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajmckay For This Useful Post:
dennisdeems (09-04-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Paint the ceilings first with flat ceiling paint.
Don't have to use ceiling paint and ceilings do not have to be white. Use whatever sheen you want. Just remember the higher the sheen the more defects show. Sometimes a ceiling with some sheen to it can really make a room sparkle. Painting ceilings white is tradition dating back to gas light days when you needed as much light reflection as possible. Time we moved on! And white boxtop rooms are B-O-R-I-N-G.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Need some suggestions on SW paints


Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
In Vancouver, you owe it to yourself to at least look at Rodda Paints - very high quality finishes comparable to anything SW or BM has - without all the marketing hype that the nationals must charge you for. There is nothing horribly wrong with national brands, I've just been in this business for way too many years, tested/used/sold & copied more brands of paint than many even know exists, and have always found regional manufacturers to hold the edge when it comes to quality and value.

The architecural paint business is a very competitive, no-growth industry - Companies grow only by taking business away from other manufacturers...and all manufacturers purchase their raw materials from the same sources. Trust me when I say this - No company (NONE) can sell their products for 40% off their suggested list unless the suggested list is a complete fabrication designed to fool an ignorant consumer. Especially as often as SW seems to run this same damned ad.

Look around - there are better deals to be had without compromising any quality (and, who knows? You may even get better service and advice)
Thank you Ric! Looks like there is Rodda store just across the border. We have a long weekend coming, I'll pay them a visit on Saturday.

chill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latex over alkyd primer TVC15 Painting 15 08-14-2010 11:42 PM
Painting a room for new baby. Lots of questions. SuperAkuma Painting 15 01-01-2009 10:18 AM
Flashing NoExperience Painting 13 09-04-2008 05:56 AM
Paint sticking at door/jamb Corcoran1 Painting 10 06-20-2008 07:03 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.