Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need to restore faded cedar siding on ranch house

I bought a "ranchette" property recently, The main house is on a concrete slab, and has cedar siding. It was built in 1975, and by the looks of it, its the original finish. Its very faded in some areas. It has some unknown sort of reddish-brown stain on it. The bottom of the siding in a number of areas has dry rot (not really termites), It is only a couple of inches at bottom--- I am told that I need to put 1x4 cedar boards all around at the bottom, and the boards should have a bevel at the top to shed water. So I need to do this first, then tackle the finish restoration. I would like to stay with the same reddish-brown color. I suspect what was used was an oil-based semi-transparent stain. The one time I tried to use a sprayer, it was a disaster, so I would like to get something that I can roll on and back-brush.
Does the old finish need to be stripped? (Don't see how you could since it looks like a stain) Can I put on a preservative, or are stains available for cedar that have preservatives added?

Jimigunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Heritage Restoration

Rewards Points: 0

Need to restore faded cedar siding on ranch house

IMO.

I would do this in the spring. Spray on a mixture of Borax and Water on all the low areas that are starting to rot. The Borax kills microbes but is environmentally safe. It also penetrates into the wood to prevent rot in the future (sorry..it doesn't UnDo rot )
I would then let it all dry out totally for a few days.
Then I would coat the shakes in a High Quality Boiled Linseed Oil. Maybe add some stain to the oil to tint it if you like. Should take less than a week to dry totally in the summer.

Skuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar siding