Need Recommend For Inter. Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need Recommend for inter. painting

I have read a lot of the post about Behr paint. I was going to use it because I had heard it was a good product. I'm working with a budget(aren't we all) so I'm really looking for a mid priced product that won't really give me any headaches but looks nice and will last for at least 15 years or so. I may still use the Behr if the price is right but thanks for the tip about the Flotrol. It will make my life much easier. The products that I'm considering besides Behr are Glidden, Dutch Boy, Kilz and Olympic. I'd love to get SW or BM but they are really out of my budget. I'm also installing laminate floors - whole house(except kitchen).

I'm painting over an off wht semi gloss. If I do add the Flotrol to the Behr can I use it in a sprayer then? Also for the walls that will have color would it be best and cost the least to prime them with a primer tinted the top coat color and then paint them?

And last but not least any tips for the quickest and best way to prep the walls and the ceilings(spray on acoustic) for painting? I'm doing the entire inside and I'm looking for as many short cuts/time saving wisdoms possible.

Thanks

PS whats the best sprayer for the brand of paint or just period? I had a Wagner but my brother used it and said it kept over heating and the spring inside burnt up.

Advertisement

impvme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by impvme View Post
....I'm really looking for a mid priced product that won't really give me any headaches but looks nice and will last for at least 15 years or so. ...The products that I'm considering besides Behr are Glidden, Dutch Boy, Kilz and Olympic. I'd love to get SW or BM but they are really out of my budget....
I seriously can not recommend any product lines by those companies
I can not say they will not give you any headaches
I can not say they will last for any length of time
I'm not sure how much out of the budget the SW or BM is, but I'm sure your budget doesn't include the extra time spent painting, the extra product (paint) needed to apply, and doing the project again years earlier than if you had used quality paints

Honestly, if your budget does not include enough money for the decent SW, BM, Pittsburgh, California, or Muralo lines of coatings, then you didn't budget enough for the painting project

If this is a repaint, then no primer should be needed

A sanding screen on a pole sander and a swiffer are the quickest way to prep walls

I would not suggest a sprayer for this project

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

but looks nice and will last for at least 15 years or so.

I don't know of any paint that will still look nice 15 years down the road,unless you can come up with the old time lead based oil.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Paint Store Dude

Rewards Points: 25

Put the project off for a few months and save some extra cash and buy Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore paint. I would recommend the SW Superpaint.
At the current prices Superpaint satin is running around $32/gal. Behr Preimum Plus satin is right around $28/gal. Thats only $4/gal give or take. If you would use 5 gallons on your project thats only $20 total. So for the sake of discussion double it to $40 for your project. Believe me thats a small difference in price for the higher quality and ease of working you will recieve.
Chuck
Chazbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by impvme View Post
I have read a lot of the post about Behr paint. I was going to use it because I had heard it was a good product. I'm working with a budget(aren't we all) so I'm really looking for a mid priced product that won't really give me any headaches but looks nice and will last for at least 15 years or so. I may still use the Behr if the price is right but thanks for the tip about the Flotrol. It will make my life much easier. The products that I'm considering besides Behr are Glidden, Dutch Boy, Kilz and Olympic. I'd love to get SW or BM but they are really out of my budget. I'm also installing laminate floors - whole house(except kitchen).
The minimum we usually recommend is the next-to-top from BM (Regal) or SW (SuperPaint). However, if you really are truly budget strapped, you might want to give SW ProMar 200 a try. This is their top contractor-grade paint (you'll have to ask for it, it is not part of their retail displays), and is not absolutely terrible stuff. (I've been using it as a ceiling paint without issues.) I am sure BM has a similar paint. I expect you can get it for around the same price as Behr, but it is certainly a much better choice than that crud. Don't even consider the HD Glidden, Lowe's Olympic or Wal-Mart Dutch Boy or Kilz. It is not that those paints fail 100% of the time, just that they fail often enough that they are completely unacceptable, even for DIY use. And when they do fail, the folks at Big Box will be completely unable to help... the only thing they can do is shove more gallons of the stuff across the counter at you and not charge you for it.

15 years is a lot to ask of any paint. You might could get a white or off-white Eggshell/Satin BM Aura or SW Duration to hold out that long, treated well, and if you have no kids, maybe even SuperPaint or Regal, but certainly not low-end stuff.

Quote:
I'm painting over an off wht semi gloss. If I do add the Flotrol to the Behr can I use it in a sprayer then? Also for the walls that will have color would it be best and cost the least to prime them with a primer tinted the top coat color and then paint them?
The DIY sprayers simply do not work well, and will not give you a quality finish. If you were lucky, they would get paint on the wall, but will not give you good results. In any case, if you currently live in the house you want to paint, spraying takes at least as long, if not longer than brush/rolling, due to the extensive prep work required.

If you want the paint job to last, you MUST have at least two topcoats. Period. A grey-tinted primer can be helpful for deep colors, especially reds. Unless you are undertaking extensive drywall repairs, you do not need to prime at all (except for spot-priming what repairs you do perform) if your topcoat is a light/off-white/pastel color. Scuff-sand the existing semi-gloss, wipe off the dust with a swiffer, and start applying your topcoats.

Quote:
And last but not least any tips for the quickest and best way to prep the walls and the ceilings(spray on acoustic) for painting? I'm doing the entire inside and I'm looking for as many short cuts/time saving wisdoms possible.
If the accoustic ceiling was never painted or primed, you may need to seal it with an oil-base primer, especially if the ceiling has been there a while. Failure to do this can result in the paint peeling your ceiling right off. If the ceiling has been painted, gently vacuum it, get yourself a nice, thick roller (3/4" should about do the trick), and have at it.

As far as short-cuts/time saving? Skip tape. I use it to mask off hardware, such as knobs and hinges, and natural-finish quarter-round, and that is it. If not painting your baseboards, mask off the top of those to protect against roller spatter. Buy yourself a 2 1/2" Angle Sash Purdy brush for your brush-work. Worth every penny for time saved, and the quality of the job. You likely will not need to buy another brush as long as you live, assuming you take good care of it. Use only Purdy or Wooster roller sleeves, 3/8" or thicker for smooth walls. To use a roller: load up, roll one 8' or so stripe, roll back, roll the previous stripe once, move on. (None of this M/W/N pattern arm-killing stuff...)

Yes, Purdy/Wooster/Corona painting tools are more expensive than the other brands, but the time saved is tremendous.

Quote:
PS whats the best sprayer for the brand of paint or just period? I had a Wagner but my brother used it and said it kept over heating and the spring inside burnt up.
The best would be a rented sprayer from a paint store. (You don't want to buy one outright.) The little Wagners at Big Box just don't work too well. However, as mentioned earlier, if you live there, spraying is more trouble than it is worth. Most pros wouldn't even bother.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Most paint stores will give you a contractor's discount if you ask and fill out a form. Now, I do a lot of painting, but even if you don't it's a way that they can lure you to their store instead of the big boxes. So, before pushing aside Benjamin Moore (my favorite), stop in and ask. Also, if you do a thick job with priming, you can save a little by not having to use so much paint.

Benjamin Moore also makes a mid grade paint, which is not as nice at the main line, but is much better than the big box brands. Worth asking about.

Good luck! I know it's a stretch to buy the good paint, but you will be amazed at how much easier it is to work with and how great it looks.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

thanks for all of the info. I decieded to go with a paint I didnt even list in my post. Easy Living. So far I've painted one room and it was a breeze. The only thing I wasn't prepared for was how much paint it really takes to paint a peach skin spray on type cieling. I thought it would be about one gallon. It took almost 1 and a 1/2 gal. I didn't prime it so I think I will prime it and hope that cuts down the amount of paint for the rest of the cielings. How ever I was able to do it with only one coat. I was going from an off wht/ecru to a bright white. For the most part it covered very well.

Thanks again
V.

Advertisement

impvme is offline   Reply With Quote