Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

Share |

Need Quick Advice

Never posted before, but need expert advice. My daughter stained and polyurethaned a wooden door for the inside of her home a dark mahogany (believe the stain was oil based because it was sticky to wash off my hands). She decided she wants to paint the doors white. We just took some sandpaper and lightly sanded the door, and want to paint today, but are not sure if we can buy an oil primer (white) and then put latex semi gloss finish over it. Will this work or is it going to peel? Please help!

momof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #2

Need Quick Advice

How long ago was the poly put on? If it's been recently, you may want to wait awhile to paint. If it's been 6 months or more, you can paint the door. Sand, apply a bonding primer such as Zinsser's 1-2-3 (it sticks to glossy surfaces), allow to dry for a day or two and then you can apply your latex topcoat(s).

P.S. I see that you stated you are in a hurry........you can apply the primer and get 2 coats on......maybe get a fan going (indirectly) towards the door to hasten drying times. I like to let the primer dry for a day or two, but, you don't necessarily have to do that.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Need Quick Advice

You definitely don't have top wait that long. read the can -123 says recoat in 1 hour.
But other than that G-Shu has it.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #4

Need Quick Advice

Thank you both for your quick replies. The door was stained over a year ago, so I am confident your advice will work.

On my way to the store!!

Thanks again,
momof7 is offline   Reply With Quote