Need To Paint Concrete Basement Floor - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need to paint concrete basement floor

We are in the process of trying to sell our house. Unfortunately, our cat had decided to use our basement utility room as a litter box and peed in places on the concrete floor. I have cleaned it very well with bleach, etc., but the stains still remain visually. I have come to the conclusion that painting over it may be the only way to make it aesthetically pleasing as well as sealed. I bought some Dutch Boy concrete paint last night, but will I need to etch or prime it? I'm sort of in a hurry with an open house in a couple of days, so I would like to skip unecessary steps, but at the same time don't want to skip essentials.

Advertisement

tristar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I'm not an expert but I would definitely use a primer before painting it. For a primer, I think you could use KILZ 2 Latex. I'm currently involved in painting a basement floor for my son and have used this primer there. It dries fast. You can paint within about 1 hour after priming.

Advertisement

Last edited by dderolph; 08-21-2009 at 11:46 AM.
dderolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 502

Kilz 2.... nooooooooooo!!!!!! It does indeed dry fast. However, it has the unfortunate, and unique (for a primer) property of being an adhesion reducer. As in, there is a significant chance it will peel off in sheets, especially in the presence of any moisture. It doesn't always happen, but it happens often enough to be unacceptable.

The first test before painting any basement concrete is to perform a moisture test. Simply tape a square of clear plastic to the floor and let it sit for a day or so. If the plastic collects condensation, you will never get adhesion.

If the plastic stays dry, go to an actual paint store, purchase floor paint meant for concrete, and follow the prep directions on the can.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
Kilz 2.... nooooooooooo!!!!!! It does indeed dry fast. However, it has the unfortunate, and unique (for a primer) property of being an adhesion reducer. As in, there is a significant chance it will peel off in sheets, especially in the presence of any moisture. It doesn't always happen, but it happens often enough to be unacceptable.

The first test before painting any basement concrete is to perform a moisture test. Simply tape a square of clear plastic to the floor and let it sit for a day or so. If the plastic collects condensation, you will never get adhesion.

If the plastic stays dry, go to an actual paint store, purchase floor paint meant for concrete, and follow the prep directions on the can.

SirWired
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

What stated above is true for a moisture test. Also, as far as the cat urine, prime with BIN Shellac primer, not oil or latex, Shellac. Shellac will seal the stains plus it is a vapor barrier primer so it should hold back any odors.
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote