Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #1

Share |

Need my home exterior painted... In bad shape

I bought this house that I am in 2 years ago and had to invest alot of unexpected money into missed needed renovations throughout the home. $3,700 for a half roof repair (still need to do the other side), $1,000 for a bedroom renovation, and much more still needed (many of the things, including the roof, the inspector missed) Now, I need to put all the other tasks aside and get the house painted.

I'm hoping to get some good news on this topic instead of $$$$ as my only option. I have heard of trade schools painting homes free of labor with only material costs to the customer. I live in Washington State and have been looking around websites, but can't even find schools for this (done google search and Bureau of Labor and Statistics).

Is it that I just don't know how to search for something like this, or does this service exist? I know i'm gambling with a possibility of horrible work, but I'm optimistic about it, and is my only affordable option at this time.

StarStryker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

Lots of church groups, community service organizations, etc will give you a reasonably priced paint job. Of course, doing it yourself is the cheapest route.

Local charity groups do these sorts of things also, but, you have to qualify to have the work done. In other words, if your income exceeds a certain amount, you wouldn't qualify.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStryker11 View Post
I bought this house that I am in 2 years ago and had to invest alot of unexpected money into missed needed renovations throughout the home. $3,700 for a half roof repair (still need to do the other side), $1,000 for a bedroom renovation, and much more still needed (many of the things, including the roof, the inspector missed) Now, I need to put all the other tasks aside and get the house painted.

I'm hoping to get some good news on this topic instead of $$$$ as my only option. I have heard of trade schools painting homes free of labor with only material costs to the customer. I live in Washington State and have been looking around websites, but can't even find schools for this (done google search and Bureau of Labor and Statistics).

Is it that I just don't know how to search for something like this, or does this service exist? I know i'm gambling with a possibility of horrible work, but I'm optimistic about it, and is my only affordable option at this time.
Free? Free is good.
I know a lot of people that always try to get something for nothing.
Why not? There are tons of suckers out there...no?
PT Barnum even said so.
But I just wonder why, if you have money available for other things, you would need a free paint job?
If you can convince me, I may just pack up and send a crew out to you and do your job for free out of the goodness of my heart.
The reason I mention this is because I read some of your other posts on here, sort of feeling sorry for you. Now I'm not so sure I should feel that way, convince me.

Why I say this is we have a person who sits on the entrance way to a expressway here in my town and he has a cardboard sign asking for money. You know, "will work for money" type of thing. Guess what?
It was just discovered by the local news here he is a millionaire and was born with the money, his dad's very rich. His dad owns a lot of property here and the entire family has money. Big money.
I have given him money myself. I offered him work many times in the past but he always has some excuse as to why he can't work "today". Sick, hurt...bla bla bla.
I stopped giving him anything after the 5th offer to give him work.
I'm not saying this is you... I'm just saying, things like this happen.
Now I am a generous man. I do a lot for my community and individuals.
I have a soft spot for those in need. True need. And I have done some crazy things in my time. I have given a few free jobs away to people in the past.
Matter of fact, I try and do something good (and big) at least once a year.

Now here is one of the posts you wrote:
\
My wife and I are wanting to have a 2000 SF rambler built, but am not sure what to do here. I have a few people recommending "HiLine homes", but some reviews I have read are bad. I know that reviews cannot always be trusted, so I am hoping to get a further opinion. I have a relative that had HiLine do the work and their value has stayed relatively high. They have a quote for $114,000 on this size home.
The other option is a friend who will build the home at $80.00 a SF. This obviously will come up to $160,000.
If I could save $50,000 and still have good value, I will do it. What do you think and any opinion.

To me, that sounds like you have money, more than a lot of people.
Help me out here. I could have you scheduled for a Spring time job if I'm convinced.
ok, and you say?

Last edited by HighGlossPL38; 01-07-2014 at 12:47 PM.
HighGlossPL38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighGlossPL38 For This Useful Post:
Bondo (01-07-2014), Gymschu (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackoD View Post
Free? Free is good.
I know a lot of people that always try to get something for nothing.
Why not? There are tons of suckers out there...no?
PT Barnum even said so.
But I just wonder why, if you have money available for other things, you would need a free paint job?
If you can convince me, I may just pack up and send a crew out to you and do your job for free out of the goodness of my heart.
The reason I mention this is because I read some of your other posts on here, sort of feeling sorry for you. Now I'm not so sure I should feel that way, convince me.

Why I say this is we have a person who sits on the entrance way to a expressway here in my town and he has a cardboard sign asking for money. You know, "will work for money" type of thing. Guess what?
It was just discovered by the local news here he is a millionaire and was born with the money, his dad's very rich. His dad owns a lot of property here and the entire family has money. Big money.
I have given him money myself. I offered him work many times in the past but he always has some excuse as to why he can't work "today". Sick, hurt...bla bla bla.
I stopped giving him anything after the 5th offer to give him work.
I'm not saying this is you... I'm just saying, things like this happen.
Now I am a generous man. I do a lot for my community and individuals.
I have a soft spot for those in need. True need. And I have done some crazy things in my time. I have given a few free jobs away to people in the past.
Matter of fact, I try and do something good (and big) at least once a year.

Now here is one of the posts you wrote:
\
My wife and I are wanting to have a 2000 SF rambler built, but am not sure what to do here. I have a few people recommending "HiLine homes", but some reviews I have read are bad. I know that reviews cannot always be trusted, so I am hoping to get a further opinion. I have a relative that had HiLine do the work and their value has stayed relatively high. They have a quote for $114,000 on this size home.
The other option is a friend who will build the home at $80.00 a SF. This obviously will come up to $160,000.
If I could save $50,000 and still have good value, I will do it. What do you think and any opinion.

To me, that sounds like you have money, more than a lot of people.
Help me out here. I could have you scheduled for a Spring time job if I'm convinced.
ok, and you say?
I'm not going to tear you up too badly here cuz you really don't know my life, so consider yourself lucky there. Look at the time that was created. So since you ask about my history in a pompous prick sort of way, I will tell you.

I lost my job (Construction company I worked for no longer is in business), now have an infant, had to sell my truck and my motorcycle to reduce some of monthly costs. My unemployment has expired, and finally found a job that pays me $300 a week (In case math wasnt your top subject that is about $1200 a month.... Thats my mortgage payment... .House and insurance. Should tell you that or you'll be a smart ass thinking my home is a $300,000 home) I have a base model kia soul (you know, a rich man car). My wife has a ford focus (another rich person car). I have $2000 left in my bank account (remember, my monthly mortgage is $1200 a month. That means I have $800 left after that.) My wife works too, but has her payments as well. We are trying to sell the house before we lose it and move to an apartment. Basically start where we began.

All I can say is shame on you for judging me before you knew my situation. That really shows the kind of person you are and the kind of business you run. I believe I convinced you here, but if I didn't, there is no way I ever could. It's that or you think I am lying, that's your problem. As for me, my problem is finding the help I need to support my family. Last thing I need is some a**hole on here accusing me of being someone I am not telling me I have money in which I wish I did. Not the kind of person who milks a system.

As for your offer to come out here and do this for me if I convince you, thanks, but no thanks. I feel your more of a con than the bums on the streets. You'll tell me you'll do it, then I will get a collection notice in the mail saying I owe you $3000. Hey, that's happened to me years ago, so I know it happens.

Besides, a $160,000 home is not someone who has a s**t ton of money...... That is the average cost of homes bought in America.... SO, I used to have as much money as the average American. Which you should know, isn't very much.

Last edited by StarStryker11; 01-07-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added more information
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StarStryker11 For This Useful Post:
HighGlossPL38 (01-08-2014), ltd (01-08-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Lots of church groups, community service organizations, etc will give you a reasonably priced paint job. Of course, doing it yourself is the cheapest route.

Local charity groups do these sorts of things also, but, you have to qualify to have the work done. In other words, if your income exceeds a certain amount, you wouldn't qualify.
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will qualify for it. My issue with that tho is, I think I am better off than some others, so I don't want to take away from someone else. I'm making ends still, but the ends are getting kinda short.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStryker11 View Post
I'm not going to tear you up too badly here cuz you really don't know my life, so consider yourself lucky there. Look at the time that was created. So since you ask about my history in a pompous prick sort of way, I will tell you.

I lost my job (Construction company I worked for no longer is in business), now have an infant, had to sell my truck and my motorcycle to reduce some of monthly costs. My unemployment has expired, and finally found a job that pays me $300 a week (In case math wasnt your top subject that is about $1200 a month.... Thats my mortgage payment... .House and insurance. Should tell you that or you'll be a smart ass thinking my home is a $300,000 home) I have a base model kia soul (you know, a rich man car). My wife has a ford focus (another rich person car). I have $2000 left in my bank account (remember, my monthly mortgage is $1200 a month. That means I have $800 left after that.) My wife works too, but has her payments as well. We are trying to sell the house before we lose it and move to an apartment. Basically start where we began.

All I can say is shame on you for judging me before you knew my situation. That really shows the kind of person you are and the kind of business you run. I believe I convinced you here, but if I didn't, there is no way I ever could. It's that or you think I am lying, that's your problem. As for me, my problem is finding the help I need to support my family. Last thing I need is some a**hole on here accusing me of being someone I am not telling me I have money in which I wish I did. Not the kind of person who milks a system.

As for your offer to come out here and do this for me if I convince you, thanks, but no thanks. I feel your more of a con than the bums on the streets. You'll tell me you'll do it, then I will get a collection notice in the mail saying I owe you $3000. Hey, that's happened to me years ago, so I know it happens.

Besides, a $160,000 home is not someone who has a s**t ton of money...... That is the average cost of homes bought in America.... SO, I used to have as much money as the average American. Which you should know, isn't very much.
Ok, "pompous prick sort of way" is not the way I see myself, far from it. But as you took it so personal and direct I understand your feelings about me now. I did not accuse YOU of anything, as you say. If you take a minute to read it again, you will see that.

And "shame on me" I can live with, that could save me money and save others from being ripped off. Though I thank you for your input. I do apologize it if offended you that much. On the other hand, I did point out something valuable to people on this forum, I think. There are those in life that simply put, screw others anyway they can. Again, not you, I am not directing this at you.

I truly do wish you well and nothing but good fortune. You sound like a good man. Take care, keep in touch.

Last edited by HighGlossPL38; 01-08-2014 at 10:08 AM.
HighGlossPL38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #7

The cheapest way I know of would be to paint it yourself. I am not familiar with any trades schools with the programs you describe. Maybe find a friend with a title paint experience to help.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
In a little over my head

Why not paint it yourself? A couple weekends ought to do it. Or, invite all your friends, buy a few cases of cold drinks and a few dozen hamburgers. Fire up the grill when it's done.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing View Post
Why not paint it yourself? A couple weekends ought to do it. Or, invite all your friends, buy a few cases of cold drinks and a few dozen hamburgers. Fire up the grill when it's done.
I've considered doing that. Just slightly nervous about really screwing up. But for finding the most inexpensive way, I guess that would be the most logical tho huh...
Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #10

Sure could not come out any worst then a bunch of volunteers that have no clue and it's not there house.