Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

Share |

Need help w/color turning out wrong.

Hi all, We are painting our babies nursery a greyish/turqoise/blue color. There is a back office in the room that the base was beige, the color came out true to form. Now the front of the room the base is like a periwinkle blue, but the paint color is coming out green . AHhhhh...I have tried samples and the same thing is happening. We are using Behr paint w/ primer included. Should we be using an additional primer? Or could this be from the lighting? It is quite frustrating!!

Thanks for your help!!

melokneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #2

Pics would help. It could be many things. Paint not mixed properly. Lighting (fluorescent vs. incandescent). Not enough coats applied yet. Poor painting technique. Color of carpet reflecting onto paint........on and on......

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
melokneer (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Seems we got it....we needed a coat of the primer before the color was added. Thanks for your imput
melokneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

No such thing as paint and primer in one but enough said of that, yet again and in this instance the color cannot be blamed on Behr although it may look closer to what you have in mind with your final coat.

If the color looks alright and like the chip you picked in the back of the room but not the front your guess that it is the lighting is probably dead on. Quick lesson in lighting. Light has a color temperature measured in a unit called a K and as you can see from this chart, the lower the temperature the warmer the light.

I know, it is backwards. Some studies indicate we do better with lighting in the daylight range above 5,000K. 6,500K is a standard industry setting for talking about color and setting montiors. Lights way up the daylight range are used successfully to treat seasonal mood disorders.

However, even more important, if a light source gives off light only in the light spectrum only around its K temperature things look all weird. Older florescent bulbs used to be notorious for turning people green on film for example because they only gave off light of a color around the 4,000-4,500 K range which is the most common bulb for offices.

So, regardless of the K temperature what you want to look for when buying lightbulbs is the color rendering index (CRI) which indicates how much light it emits across the entire light spectrum. CRI is measured from 0-100.

Good old incandescents are the benchmarks and are given a CRI of 100. Halogens are also great and offer good CRIs as do newer LEDs. Older LEDs, cheap florescent tubes and compact florescent bulbs often have absolutely terrible CRIs at 80 or even lower. More expensive, full spectrum daylight florescent bulbs and those especially for photography and graphic arts have excellent CRIs 90 or even approaching 100 but they are a bit more expensive.

I hoping switching light bulbs will help your problem. It can look weird to look at different color temperature light sources in the same room, but if the color rendering index is high, color on the wall should look the same.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by user1007; 09-28-2012 at 03:34 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
jschaben (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Wow. i just put a small dab on the color chip. If it matches, the problem is not color but lighting.
Mr science is cool though!
ToolSeeker (09-29-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

[quote=Brushjockey;1019412]Wow. i just put a small dab on the color chip. If it matches, the problem is not color but lighting.
Mr science is cool though![/quote]

Well above my pay grade
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Well it turned out lighting was not it but lack of a primer over periwinkle. I cannot tell you how many times I have faced the periwinkle challenge! I like posting images with color in them though. Spices this site up!

I do think light color and light bulb color rendering capabilities worth knowing about as we must soon toss all incandescent bulbs that made apples look like apples in favor of florescent, led and whatever else sort of bulbs. Even my former gallery clients are now thinking of moving to LED replacement for halogen bulbs now that they are dropping in price and getting brighter. The LED tube arrays that go into florescent fixtures are pretty cool and many do not need starters and ballasts and, in theory, will last ten years. That is a chunk saved in maintenance for a large building to the point the cost is almost justifiable.

I fear if people do not look at the light bulb boxes for color temp and CRI they are going to get them home and think their children are green space aliens being fed blue food like at the end of the original 2001 movie. And if their painters will not tell them to look for the right light bulbs? Who will.

I try to get my clients large samples of swatches to put on the wall or exterior at home to live with for a day or so before ordering gallons. Or to buy those little pouches or bottles of sample color. The lighting in paint stores over the chips is not bad but in box stores it is awful.

Last edited by user1007; 09-29-2012 at 01:59 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #8

Good stuff, sdsester. Another thing that happens sometimes is that a homeowner paints a room that was the same color for many years, let's say Green for example, then they prime and repaint the room tan. The eye still sees green in that room for awhile and the homeowner will swear that the green is showing through the new paint film. Others look at the walls and see only tan. I have had that happen a few times over the years and it takes about 2 extra coats of paint to convince them that the walls are really TAN!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
user1007 (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #9

another instance proving that paint and primer in one is bull crap

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-29-2012)