Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Need help priming and painting trim

I replaced some window casing in my living room because it was stained pine trim and my wife wants white. I replaced the casing with pre primed white. There were 2 other pieces of trim I decided to reuse. I sanded down to the wood and primed with zinsser cover stain (oil based). The results didnt turn out so good. The primer didnt smooth out, there are brush strokes all over. Here's attached pics of what I'm talking about. Will painting over this with latex paint smooth it out and hide brush strokes? Also, for trim, will white satin look good?

Thanks for any advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help priming and painting trim-img_1863.jpg   Need help priming and painting trim-img_1862.jpg  

AndyH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,086

Sand it( the primer) with 120 or so and paint. I use semi gloss for all trim but satin will be OK

Last edited by chrisn; 08-13-2013 at 04:40 PM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,944

What brand and style brush did you use? If it's a cheap brush that's just what it would look like.
Looks like you used to short stroke when painting or did not go back over it from end to end with a wet brush once you got it covered with primer to even it all out.
100% sure the primers been stirred up enough so none of the solid are left on the bottom of the can?
I've been using one of these to stir paint.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=158
Amazing how fast and how well it works.
I got stuck doing a rehab on a house that the owner of the local lumber yard owns.
He gave me every gal. of paint he had that had been sitting on the shelve in a warehouse for many years to save money.
A paint stick would not even begin to stir it.
That tool had it completely stirred in about 2, min.
Trick is turn it slow and do not let it get to close to the top of the can or it will throw paint everywhere.
ToolSeeker (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #4

I used an 1.5" angled brush. I think the brand is shur-line or something like that. I mixed the paint with an attachment on a drill. I went ahead and sanded those pieces with 220 grit. I painted everything and everything looks great except those two pieces. They still have brush strokes. The other preprimed pieces turned out awesome with no brush marks. BTW with the latex paint, I used a 2" angled purdy nylox glide.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #5

Also, when priming, it felt like I was trying to prime with glue or something sticky like tar. After the primer dried and I sanded and painted, it even felt different when I was painting, like the paint was drying too fast. It felt great when i was doing the pre-primed pieces though.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,200

After a little sanding, based on that picture (which is not the same as me looking at it in real life), you should be fine with a couple coats of a quality, nicely leveling finish paint.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are we still talking about primer or finish coats now?

Primer is not intended to cover completely but what concerns me is you are feeling your brush drag when applying it which suggests some sort of chemical reaction or something. There is something on the surface the primer is reacting with and this is not a good thing.

Are we still talking the window sill as the main problem? Any chance somebody had candles without a base under them burning on it at one time?

You could add some Floetrol or XIM to even out the brush strokes of the finish coats.

My contractor offspring made me pick up a paint brush and try Ben Moore Advance recently. It is the new waterborne alkyd product. Sure was fun to work with and left a really nice gloss the client wanted.

A 1.5" is for very rare needs. It cannot hold enough paint to do anything meaningful. 2.5 angled sash brushes, or maybe 3" were my tools of choice. They hold paint and good trimmed ones will almost let you pinstripe with the edges.

Last edited by user1007; 08-16-2013 at 11:52 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote