Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Trying to be Handy

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

Need Help - Painting Basics 101

Background: I just purchased a condo and the whole thing is painted matte white. It looks awful. I want to spruce it up a bit - add a little color.

Questions: I have been reading previous posts, but still have a few issues/questions:
  1. I am going to use Aura brand paint and realize I will probably need two coats. How long do I wait between the first coat to do the second? Does it have to be completely dry?
  2. I will be using a paint brush (instead of a roller) around the edges.... how far away from the trim should I go before beginning my painting with the roller?
  3. What is the best brush stroke technique? Do I just paint a bunch of parallel vertical lines?
  4. Do I need to put some sort of top coat over the color once I am done?
Thank you for your help... I am sure once I get started I will have even more questions!

aydalhgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

1) The can will have instructions for "ideal" conditions. Higher humidity or low temperatures than the specifications will increase dry time. The most common time I have seen between coats is four hours at 70F and 50% humidity.
2) Get as close to the trim as you can with the roller without actually bumping into the trim. This will give you a more consistent surface if you can get the roller stipple as close as possible. I usually brush out about 3"-3.5", and then run the roller about 1"-1.5" from the trim.
3) The best brush technique is to apply the paint with one stroke, back-brush with another stroke, and move on. "Overworking" the coat makes it too thin.
4) No, after your two coats of Aura, you will be finished.

Good choice of paint... a lot of folks on here really like that Aura.

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I do my cutting in with a 3 inch roller. I just take a 2 foot wide by 18 inch deep piece of sheet metal and put a few pieces of painter's masking tape on the edge I'd be bending into the corner.

Then I just bend the sheet metal slightly into the corner and spread the paint into the corner with the roller. Don't start with a fully loaded roller right at the sheet metal or you'll squeeze paint under it onto the side you're trying to avoid getting paint on. Start about a foot to 18 inches away and spread the paint into the corner. (This works best when repainting an apartment the same colour.)

If that doesn't get close enough for your taste, you can always do the edging with a small artist's paint brush to get it exactly where you want.

It's best to do all your edging one day, and then fill in with a roller the next. Then, on the morning of the following day, look at your walls and see if you have any "picture framing". Picture framing is an increase in the colour density around the perimeter of the wall where the roller and brush coats overlapped. If you see an increase in colour density around the perimeter of the wall, it means you're not getting complete hide in one coat (otherwise two coats wouldn't look any different than one coat).

So, if you do see any picture framing, you need another coat. If you don't see any picture framing, you're getting complete hiding in one coat. In that case, adding another coat will be good exercise, but I wouldn't bother doing it in my own house or condo.

Also, I've never used "Aura" so I don't know if it's appreciably different than the P&L Accolade I'm used to, but before painting with a latex paint with a brush, get the brush bristles wet in the "heel" of the brush near the metal ferrule. Similarily, if you're going to be painting with an oil based paint, get some paint thinner high up in the bristles before you start painting. The reason why is that the paint is going to work it's way up there anyway while you paint, and if it dries up there, it's going to be hard to wash that partially dried paint out of the brush later. By getting water or paint thinner high up in the bristles, you prevent that paint from drying out, making it easier to wash that paint out of the brush later when you finish painting. Doing that will keep your brushes newer longer.

And, with either latex or oil based paints, if you want to take a break without your paint brush drying out, just wrap it tightly in a plastic bag, and put it in the fridge. With oil based paints, you can even put it in the freezer.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 06-19-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydalhgal
I am going to use Aura brand paint and realize I will probably need two coats. How long do I wait between the first coat to do the second? Does it have to be completely dry?
Factory says one hour
I regularly do 40 minutes with no issues (with good conditions...no 98% humidity etc...)
Quote:
I will be using a paint brush (instead of a roller) around the edges.... how far away from the trim should I go before beginning my painting with the roller?
As close as you feel comfortable
As your 'cut in' (brushed parts) with most likely be at least 3 inches out, at minimum, overlap that by 1/2
That would make it about 1 to 1 1/2 inches out
If you can comfortable get closer, then do it
Quote:
What is the best brush stroke technique? Do I just paint a bunch of parallel vertical lines?
The Aura won't take kindly to any slow, mushy-brush techniques
Or over-brushing (brushing the same area over and over)
Nice long 'cut' lines and then a wider pass to get that 2-3 inches wide stripe
Not much more than that
If you have time for one long sweep over the area you just did to smooth it out, and it could use it, go for it
But no more than that
Quote:
Do I need to put some sort of top coat over the color once I am done?
No
Your paint is you top coat

Three more Aura specific tips:
1) If you are lifting (paint you are doing is coming up off the wall) or dragging (brush gets 'stuck' during a pass) you are going too slow or over-brushing
Leave it and fix it later...adjust you technique
2) If you are getting sags, you are putting it on too heavy/thick
3) This stuff (Aura) touches up like a pat of butter on a hot baked potato (even the notorious eggshell sheen)...you get into any trouble just leave it and fix it later
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no experience painter