Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #1

Share |

Need help to fix the ceiling

Hi

Does anyone know how to fix this kind of ceiling?
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...7/ceiling2.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...7/ceiling1.jpg

1. I tap on the brown area and it sounds like wood or board. Not sure if it's the real wood. The building is an co-op and it's over 80 yrs old building. If I take the whole paint off and to repaint it, do i need to put compound on top of the wood or i just need to put prime on it and then apply paint?

2. What would be the professional or correct way to fix this ceiling? I really need to get this thing done.

Thanks

freeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #2

from what i see here , i would only relayer with new 5/8ths drywall and re tape. problem is trying to fix an area like that is like a cat trying to catch its tail. unless you did tounge and grove ,tiled panels etc= drop ceiling system.

i dont see any professional working over that peeled paint whatever it is and feeling comfortable with the longevity of it. i could make it look brand new but i couldnt guaruntee how long it would last ,,,,,,,,, all depends on whats peeling etc what the rock is like underneath . probably not the answer you wanted,

oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #3

The whole paint is peeling off and the wood like board underneath it is fine. SO if i want to put paint on the wood like board, do i have to put compounds first, then prime and then paint or just put prime on the board and then paint over it ?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #4

Are you sure that is wood underneath & not plaster over lathe?
I have one ceiling that has the texture peeling off
I'm going to scrape it down & repaint - probably w/oil primer

In many cases people will put thin 3/8" sheetrock up over a ceiling like this & then tape & mud instead of worrying about new paint peeling off
I would recommend this due to the cracks in the ceiling - which is why I think it is some form of plaster

An older ceiling like this will continue to crack
Some people like that "look" in an older house & will just paint over the cracks
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #5

When I tap the wood like board, it sounds like there's a space between the ceiling and the board. The board is a whole piece that has the same size as the ceiling.
1) So is that a sheetrock? What's the purpose of a sheetrock?

2) Do I have to take off the sheetrock and put up a new one?

3)All I have to do is to scrape the paint off and prime it on the board and then paint it right ?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #6

Your finish coat is peeling away from the scratchcoat (or medium coat) in a plaster ceiling application, probably due to failure of the small amount of glue they used to put in finish coats, or because of moisture.

Scrape it all back to sound material, then reapply drywall compound, prime then repaint.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

Last edited by ccarlisle; 07-24-2009 at 01:04 PM.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #7

You have to put the drywall compound on top the sheetrock? You can't just put prime and then paint ?
Old 07-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #8

You can but you'll always see where the places where these chips fell out because of the difference in thickness of that last coat. Use joint compund to make it 100% disappear. But that's what we'd do...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Old 07-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Drywall contractor

Hard to tell for sure from the pics, but it looks like someone just rolled or sprayed joint compound over the wood and it's turning loose. You might be able to scrape it and sand to get the rest off, then paint the wood. Or just sheetrock over it, finish and paint for a smoother finish....
Old 07-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #10

If I scrape the whole ceiling paint or compound whatever that is off, then I sand the wood, prime it and paint it ?
Old 07-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

That would be one option. Depends on what type of wood it is and whether you want that look with the visible seams. For example, if it's 4'x8' sheet goods, you may want to put trim (lattice?) over the joints to make the look more eye appealing. If you want a truly smooth finish, I'd recommend just putting drywall over the wood and finishing it....
Old 07-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #12

You'll be very, very lucky if you scraped it and it all came off.
Most probably you'd end up with gouges in the substrate. How big are those spots anyway?

Last edited by ccarlisle; 07-25-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
Drywall contractor

Actually, it looks like the wood underneath is unprimed. Joint compound does not adhere well to wood to begin with. Unprimed wood, even less of a bond. IF is is in fact joint compound, it will likely strip off in sheets with a putty knife. A light sand to get the residual off and you should be able to prime/paint. Ccarlisle could very well be correct, but I don't think it will take much to get the texture off IF it's just joint compound. And again, that's just my guess from the pictures....
Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #14

Sorry for asking too many questions. This is my first time doing this kind of DIY. I just found out the wood underneath the paint is plywood. There are a lot of cracking or paints coming off spots like that on the ceiling and I really want a smooth finish. So my two options would be:

1) Do what the previous owner did which is rolled or sprayed joint compound over the wood and painted? But that wont last long I guess.

2) Scrape everything off and put a drywall on top of the wood, prime it and paint it.

If I choose option 2 and most likely I will.
1) How do I know how thick the plywood is?
2) How thick the drywall should it be If I want to put up one?
3) How do I put up a size of 11'8 x 10'10 drywall on top of the plywood?
4) What kind of tools do i need?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
Drywall contractor

If you're going over the plywood, you really don't need to scrape it. If you want to know how thick the plywood is, cut a small piece out with a hole saw or jig saw. As long as the plywood is not bowed, you can go right over it with 1/2" drywall. You'll want to chalk lines on the plywood where your ceiling joists are and use 1-5/8" drywall screws to fasten into them through the plywood. Run the drywall horizontal to the joists. You can cut 12' sheets to the desired length (and width) needed, so 3 sheets will do the job. Two people can hang 12's, but a third person will make it easier. Do a google search and you can get the information you need as to how to do the actual installation and finishing. Or Home Depot sells a book on drywall "how to" by Myron Ferguson. He's supposed to be "the ultimate drywall guru".....