Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Need help deciding which paint to use..

I'm currently repainting my son's bedroom. I'm leaning toward Benjamin Moore Aura. Does it really do it in just one coat?

What about the new Behr Premium Plus that is supposed to be paint and primer all in one?

Are there any other "all in one" paints out there that work well?

The last time I painted was almost 5 years ago. We did the whole interior of our house before we moved in. We used Behr up until we hit the dark red of the dining room. The paint was so horrible, we had to sand it off the walls because it dripped think drops all over. We ended up using Benjamin Moore and couldn't believe how much easier it was.

Should I just go ahead and spend the money on the Benjamin Moore Aura?

NBracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Benjamin Moore is my favorite brand followed by Sherwin Williams. Definitely spend the money on nice paint. Even the contractor grade (has less acrylic but still nice chemistry and might be worth considering for a child's bedroom) in both lines is better than Behr. In spite of any hype, whether or not you can cover in one coat with any paint is going to depend on the paint, the color you are painting and the color you are painting over, and the materials you use. Plan on two or at least one with touch-up and you will be a happier camper. Use at least a 3/8" nap and preferably a 1/2" nap roller cover for flat walls and even thicker for textured walls. If making dramatic light to dark or dark to light changes prime first with 60 percent of the paint formula mixed in.

Last edited by user1007; 09-29-2009 at 07:03 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #3

How about BM Natura? Probably slightly lesser quality than Aura, but it's zero-voc. Yes, Aura is low-voc, but why not go zero if it's available. Especially for children. Well Natura is what I'm going to use this weekend so I can report back on how it goes...
myke232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #4

Talking

Thanks, sdsester, for your recommendation. I think I'll be using the Benjamin Moore.. even if it's twice the cost, it will make the job so much easier. I'll definitely make sure I have the right equipment too.

myke232, it's funny you mention Natura because I went to the BM web site and that's what it recommended... I look forward to hearing how your painting goes, I appreciate the information.

Natasha
NBracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

I would agree with all above. I have used the Aura probably 10 or 12 times in the last year. Me, I would stick with the lesser expensive Regal line.You are still going to need 2 coats, no matter what.

"better to leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behr premium plus, benjamin moore aura