Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2009, 01:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

need help choosing an airless

Hi folks. I'm an avid DIY'er with a roughly 2500 sq ft house to renovate. I'm great at demolition, pretty good at rebuilding and OK at painting.

Although I like to own high end tools, I just can't justify the expense of a pro-quality airless. I can pick up a Graco Magnum Prox9 or a 190es used/refurb/floor model for $450-500, and either would suit my needs well.

So my question is: Which model would be more user friendly/use serviceable? Seems I read a while back that the X9 would be easier to repair for the DIY'er, but not sure where I read it.

Thanks for all replies.

itin1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 514

Both models would suit your needs easily and even suit a painting contractors needs that sprays a few hundred gallons. They both are equivalent in gallons per minute and the amount of pressure that they will put out. Both will handle up to a tip with a 19 orfice, meaning you can spray any oil, latex, acrylic, or lacquer and even some thicker bodied stuff, such as some blockfillers. They both function and clean fairly simple. I would go with the graco x9. Its new , not refurbished, lighter in weight, and has a few more features on it. would go with the graco. Which ever one you choose to get buy a swivel for the gun end and a swivel with a three foot whip hose on it for the pump end, the swivels will help with having less hose tangle and fatigue on your hand.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Sprayboy-services.com

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by itin1200 View Post
Hi folks. I'm an avid DIY'er with a roughly 2500 sq ft house to renovate. I'm great at demolition, pretty good at rebuilding and OK at painting.

Although I like to own high end tools, I just can't justify the expense of a pro-quality airless. I can pick up a Graco Magnum Prox9 or a 190es used/refurb/floor model for $450-500, and either would suit my needs well.

So my question is: Which model would be more user friendly/use serviceable? Seems I read a while back that the X9 would be easier to repair for the DIY'er, but not sure where I read it.

Thanks for all replies.
Avoid the X series Graco's like the plague. Plastic gears and a plastic yoke. Non-rebuildable pump module. For a cheap sprayer Wagner/spraytech much better. Real metal gear set and a very easy packing system. Even a 1620 is useable if you know how to spray. I have a 2008 210ES Graco and a 1995 Graco 390ST. The little 390 blows the doors off of the 210ES. One is a professional unit and one is a big-box store unit. The most popular sprayer in the US is the Graco 395. The 395, 495, 595, and the 695 UltraMax I all use the same Endurance Pump. Look for a good used one in your area. You'll be much happier in the long run.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Go to your local Sherwin-Williams store. they offer the new graco tradeworks series. it comes with a 50 foot hose and a contractor style gun. these are by far the best DIY pumps I have seen. they match the big box stores prices but offer better equipment and quality. would never buy another type of airless!
markmay121 is offline   Reply With Quote