Need To Fix Stucco Patch Job Stands Out! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need to fix stucco patch job stands out!

Help!
I know I did this wrong and I need help. I patched a ton of hairline cracks on the outside of my house using a putty knife and mixed stucco. Once I filled in a long crack I would go back over it with a semi wet sponge thinking it would rub most of the unncessary stucco and blending it in. After one day I started painting the whole house.
The next day I could see every one of my patch jobs. I didn't finish painting the entire house yet but have "patched" the front of the house. I'm apprehensive about painting the front as it will probably not blend in with the rest of the stucco like the other side. What else can I do to blend in the patches?
Apply a 2nd coat of paint? Or to maintain uniformity I thought about taking a damp sponge, dip it in stucco and dab the whole house so it would create a new texture that would match then repaint. Please help! I can add pictures if that would help.

Advertisement

constructionson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,070

The first coat will always soak into the stucco showing the patch jobs, so a second coat is a good idea. See if the stucco you used to patch with recommends a primer. If so you can spot prime the patched spots and that should seal them up for the top coat. If no primmer is recommended, just hit the patched spots first with the paint before you give the whole wall a coat.

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks! I'll try your idea this weekend. My other issue is the current hairline cracks that I patched are pretty visible after I painted them. I used exterior paint which included primer (i'm told). I guess I will repaint the entire wall and hope it blends?
As for the parts I haven't painted I will primer those patched areas then paint. After a day I'll repaint the whole area.
Wish me luck.
constructionson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stucco repair help