Need Advise With Wood Rot Before Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need advise with wood rot before painting

Ok my garage has not been painted since god knows when and im suspect of some wood being soft and may be rotting in a few places..

now my plan for this week while recovering from ACL surgery and not working is to to a top notch job restoring the exterior of this garage. I already spent $400 bucks on serwin willams duration paints and primers and plan on re caulking and a extensive sanding job before priming

My question is can anyone tell by looking at these pics exactly how bad or good the wood looks? will i be safe without replacing it?

Thank you so much for your time guys
Attached Thumbnails
need advise with wood rot before painting-dsc00854.jpg   need advise with wood rot before painting-dsc00855.jpg   need advise with wood rot before painting-dsc00856.jpg   need advise with wood rot before painting-dsc00857.jpg  

Advertisement

629RWHPstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

You have black mold growing in the soffit area, could be from roof leaks or a total lack of ventilation, that needs to be added, mold killed with bleach and water.
Rotted fasia boards that need to be replaced where it's all split and the nails have rusted.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,278

I'm sure I'll get lambasted for saying this, but, yes, that wood can be painted. It is deeply neglected but salvageable. It needs a thorough cleaning to remove chalkiness, dirt, and any mildew. Let dry and apply a long dry oil based primer. The reason I say oil based is because water based primers will wick stains out of that neglected wood and leave a less than desirable finish. If you bought $400 worth of paint you should have plenty to complete the garage.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (04-29-2012), user1007 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #4

yeah i have thought it needed better ventilation for the roof.. i can just drill the holes out and install a pop in vent system? any idea what ones are good that i can pick up from home depot or lowe's? and im praying i dont have to start replacing wood with this job

thanks again guys!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I'm sure I'll get lambasted for saying this, but, yes, that wood can be painted. It is deeply neglected but salvageable. It needs a thorough cleaning to remove chalkiness, dirt, and any mildew. Let dry and apply a long dry oil based primer. The reason I say oil based is because water based primers will wick stains out of that neglected wood and leave a less than desirable finish. If you bought $400 worth of paint you should have plenty to complete the garage.
Abatron sells great wood restoration products. Long before I took on restoring antique homes I worked on sailboats I raced.

http://www.abatron.com/buildingandre....html?vmcchk=1
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 610

I just noticed something, looking at the picture of the lower edges of the roof looking up I can see gaps between the tab. There should starter shingle there to prevent water from getting into the soffit area.

Install ridge vent on the peak and just some simple 3" push in vents in each bay would be the easyest way.
You going to need a 3" selkf feeding bit and a HD 1/2 dril.
A hole saw will work, just takes far longer.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #7

spent 6 hours sanding,calking and priming 2 small windows on it today.. this is going to take a while lol

i was thinking of just putting some wood filler in the cracks or paintable calk or even exterior spackle

Advertisement