Need Advice - Stain Finish Over New Paint? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need Advice - Stain finish over new paint?

New guy here, so be gentle.

I just had a detached two car garage with shop built. Builder did a great job up until this week. The intent was for the garage to 'match the house'. The house is stained cedar siding, with a lot of brown and red tints. The garage, with hardie board siding, is now brown paint. Unfortunately I was traveling and didn't see the results until it was finished.

Basically the match isn't very close, or at least close enough. The more I see it, the more aggravated I get. Is there anything that can be done to overcoat brown paint to provide a stained look?

Whole new meaning to 'bad finish'

Advertisement

Dgreaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Unfortunately there isnt much that can be done. Cement board is not wood. Im assuming that by "stain" on the home you mean transparent?

Maybe some sort of Faux Wood Finish could mimic the siding, that may be expensive to have done.

If it were me, maybe try to trim it out in cedar, doors, windows, garage door, etc etc. Have that wood matching the house, and paint the cement board in a complimentary color that looks good with the scheme. It doesn't necessarily have to match the house perfectly, just look as though it belongs, and not out of place.

Advertisement

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1
Unfortunately there isnt much that can be done. Cement board is not wood. Im assuming that by "stain" on the home you mean transparent?

Maybe some sort of Faux Wood Finish could mimic the siding, that may be expensive to have done.

If it were me, maybe try to trim it out in cedar, doors, windows, garage door, etc etc. Have that wood matching the house, and paint the cement board in a complimentary color that looks good with the scheme. It doesn't necessarily have to match the house perfectly, just look as though it belongs, and not out of place.
Thanks for reply. What you write is what I believed (and feared) to be true. Ive thought about the faux finish too. And yes the house has many coats of stain over the years (built in 70s). Now I use an almost transparent stain with little tint. It has a great deep brown with highlights old cedar siding look.

And thanks for your ideas. I hadn't thought of that!
Dgreaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hey Degreaney, it's not uncommon to have situations where you have to match a paint to a stain. What you need is an experienced color matcher. It sounds to me like you didn't get one and the painter accepted what he was given. I'm fortunate to have a cracker jack color team at Shinn's (Ben Moore retailer) in Wilmington DE when I'm in that area. I've even taken special cases out of my way for them to do it. Of course, there will be a slight difference and tolerance is called for, but a sharp matcher will capture the essence of the stain and it will look great. Unfortunately, in modern times, those people are few and far between.
Good Luck
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

this thread is exactly why I tint, I would have custom matched your stain and you would have came home and paid me after thanking me 100 times.........a fan deck only has so many colors while there are infinite colors in reality. knowbody should be forced to ''SETTLE'' for a color becuase the painter is a moron and cant do whats asked of him

if a customer askes you to match something you match it and if you cant then you had better know somebody that can........dont go digging through a fan deck and say some **** like ''ohh this looks like it'' ............dumb dumb dumb
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote