Need Advice On Painting New Cedar Siding - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need advice on painting new cedar siding

Last fall my contractor installed 6 inch cedar lap siding. The siding is vg cedar with a factory prime coat (oil based - all six sides) and a finish coat (acrylic) on the exposed side. We used stainless steel nails. The trim is finger jointed pine, also factory primed on all six sides, with one finish coat (acrylic). My intent is to wash it all with a mild solution of TSP, then paint the second finish coat.
If I set the nails, and fill, what is the best filler to use and do I need to prime before I fill, and do I need to prime after I fill. If I need to prime, will a latex based primer be better than oil based. It seems to me that putting an oil based primer over the acrylic finish coat is not a good idea. (In either case, I plan on a touch up of one finish coat over the filled areas before I put on the second coat.) In the past I have used 2 part epoxy filler (Abatron), but it is a pain. Would Elmerís int/ext wood filler do the job?
If I donít set the nails, I will insure they are flush. Do I need to prime them? If so, is a latex based primer okay. Again, I am not sure about using an oil based primer over the acrylic first coat.
Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

epsaklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Need advice on painting new cedar siding

In this case (if I understand your situation correctly), basically any exposed wood or SS nail heads should be primed.
I'd just spot prime those areas w/oil just to be sure

A "light-weight latex interior/exterior Spackle" should be fine over any primed (or not-raw) areas
As long as they are coated rather quickly

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote