Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #1

Share |

Need advice, painting colored wall white

I am trying to paint a wall white that was light purple. So far i have put three coats of white kilz2 primer and two coats of behr white paint. With each coat the walls just become a slightly lighter shade of grayish purple, which gives the room a horrible cold look. I really don't think it will look right unless the walls are absolutely pure white. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
paulcody23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

First of all, Behr paint is not known for being a favorite of the guys and gals here.
Commenting on Behr Paints

Is it possible that you are seeing color reflected from something else? What color are the other walls, flooring and furniture?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
ltd

are you sure ,2 primer 2 top coats that should do it .are your other wall still light purple? you might be getting a reflectioon off these walls. ok first use a good roller cover purdy white dove 1/2 inch nap sherwin williams,dip and roll ,dip and roll do not run your roller dry ,its hard to get it saturated again am not a fan of behr paint or anything from kilz but i would say thats not the problem. you should be able to cover light purple with 2 coats of of quility paint all day long.of corse with out seeing im only guessing but im thinking you getting reflections from carpet or other walls
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #4

I don't think its a reflection cause in places where I've overlapped when painting (resulting in more coats in certain areas) the paint looks much whiter. Also I had to do quite a few repairs and the spots that were spackled appear white. Every coat does make a difference so I think I just have no choice but to do a few more. It's driving me crazy cause I've painted over darker colors before and kilz usually seems to cover in 1 coat. This time its as if the coats keep blending together.
paulcody23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #5

Wow, I've painted for 35 years and never had to put FIVE coats of paint on a colored wall to make it white! Yikes. At the very most, one coat of primer and 2 coats of finish are more than sufficient. Probably should have purchased the SW High Hide primer and a gallon or two of SuperPaint. Job done. P.S. There is also such a thing as the "eye fooler." This is when the eye is fooled into thinking the paint color is still on the wall because you have looked at it that way for many years and the eye/brain still thinks it is so.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
NACE Coating Inspector

im not a fan of kilz or behr paint. did you mix the paint before you applied it? how long did you wait between coats. coating to soon and not rolling properly can actully lift off semi-dry (damp) paint and running your roller dry over damp paint will have the same effect.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #7

i went over dark purple with 2 coats of cheap glidden paint from home depot and it looks great.
so its the paint or the application.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote