Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Need advice on best paint for porch

I am looking for help on which paint will be the best to use on the railings on my porch. I live in Alabama and they are exposed to direct sun and all the other elements. I intend to refinish soon so any help will be appreciated.

hammer6924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #2

A lot more info is needed.
What are the railings made of?
How long have they been up.
What's on there now?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #3

Yeah, as Joe says, we are basically blind. Have they been painted before? Are they pressure treated? Are they cedar? Do they have stain on them now? Those are questions we have to ask to advise you properly.

For most unfinished railings, I prefer Sherwin-Williams Woodscapes solid color stain. Stain holds up well to the elements, doesn't peel, and is much easier to freshen up/touch-up than paint.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

The railings are pressure treated pine, they are painted with latex paint, they have been up 4 years. Except for the paint deterioration the wood is all good. I have heard oil based paint will stand up to the sun and other elements better.
hammer6924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer6924 View Post
The railings are pressure treated pine, they are painted with latex paint, they have been up 4 years. Except for the paint deterioration the wood is all good. I have heard oil based paint will stand up to the sun and other elements better.
No it won't.I would use a quality 100% acrylic.If they were bare I agree with Gym about the solid stain but since they are already painted a high quality acrylic would be my choice.

Last edited by cdaniels; 09-12-2013 at 12:22 AM.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniels View Post
No it won't.I would use a quality 100% acrylic.If they were bare I agree with Gym about the solid stain but since they are already painted a high quality acrylic would be my choice.

After proper prep, sanding, cleaning primer( if needed) I agree, oil is just wrong.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #7

Oil has no flexibility so you can imagine what will happen in the heat/cool cycles of weather. It also will yellow and fade much quicker than an acrylic latex.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #8

I agree that oil paint is not the way to go at all.

I do however like the oil modified solid stains, and have had some good results using them over properly prepped failed latex.
Oil modified stains supposedly provide the best of both acrylic and oil. Improved hardness, and flexibility.

This condo building had 6yr old failed latex on all the pickets. They were peeling bad and chalking. After extensive pressure washing and sanding, we applied two coats of Flood Solid Stain. Flood has emulsabond in it already, which I felt would help with bonding to the old chalky paint.
I was just by there the other day, and its still doing great after three years on the sunny side.

After seeing so many latex failures, I have switched almost exclusively to oil modified deck stains (solid), and so far I'm happy with the results.
Zar Solid stain is another one I like, it has a flat finish as opposed to the Flood which is more of a satin.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on best paint for porch-image-3778901003.jpg  

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote