Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Need advice on barn siding and roof paint

I have 2 questions for the experts here:

I need to paint a barn on a house we just bought. Both the roof and the siding need painted. The roof is metal, standing seem, silver-color and has surface rust which I was going to sand off with a wire wheel before painting. Is there any other surface prep that would be beneficial and what is the best paint to use? Aluminum fibered, unfibered? Brand?

The siding is peeling badly and has some barewood, so I'm thinking I should prime it first. (After heavy surface prep, of course.) It is roughly textured. I was thinking about applying it with a 3/4" nap roller and brushing it in. It needs painted "barn red". Could anyone recommend the best brands of paint and/or primer to use?

Price isn't much of an issue here. I'd rather pay extra, if necessary,to get a good and long lasting job. (Cheaper in the long run...)

Thanks in advance!

Mike

mvonstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 AM   #2

I'd stay away from an asphalt coating on the roof if it doesn't really need one. If the roof is sound and just has a bit of rust don't put any asphalt on it. You'll be stuck with similar products in the future. I'd put a good DTM on it. If you want the aluminum finish though you'll need to go oil for a good paint. Any color you can do in acrylic DTM. As for the rust, If it's pretty widespread I'd coat the roof with a product called Ospho first. It'll chemically convert the rust into a primer. For the siding, I'd use an oil primer on the bare spots but you can get away with a latex as well. For paints I'd go with something good but not top of the line. SW Super Paint will be highly recommended I'm sure. I sell P&L and can recommend RedSeal. Products like Accolade or Duration are overkill on a barn.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the info!
mvonstein is offline   Reply With Quote