Natural Wood Color Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

natural wood color paint

I am painting a room in a dark truffle. The room has a faux beam running the length of the ceiling.
I want to paint it to look like a wood beam.
Would anyone know who makes such a paint color, or how one would go about creating such a look?
Thanks,
Skysoldier

Army Ranger Standing Order:
"Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning."

Advertisement

Skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

natural wood color paint

I'm assuming the beam is currently painted a solid color. This is what I would do:

1. Choose a color that pleases you and works with your wall color. You can also purchase a tool at the big box stores that you can use to make a wood pattern
2. Prime the beam with a tinted primer to make it easier for your 'wood' color to cover.
3. Paint your beam.
4. After beam dries really well, put another coat of paint, slightly darker than your base coat and use your tool to create the wood look. Hope this helps.

I've also seen on TV where they duplicated the wood look with a paint brush that looks like it's had notches cut in it. Then they blended it a little bit with cheese cloth but I've never done that.

Advertisement

shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

natural wood color paint

There are quite a few wood graining tools out there and if you want to patronize your local paint store and not an evil box store they should have something. I use one now and then that simulates a number of grain types depending on what surface you use. It is just a rubber piece mounted on a plastic handle thingie. I think I paid $10-12 for it years ago.

The basic technique described sounds alright. You might find that a glaze works better for the second color rather than an opaque paint but you will just have to experiment. The paint or art store will have glazes or mediums for making them. Sometimes oil paints work out a little better for this because they don't set up so fast and you have a little more time to work them. Latex acrylics work fine with some practice though and you can buy retarders if you need them to slow the drying time.

"Recipes for Walls" is one set of good books on faux finishes if you think you want to read up. This isn't rocket science though and you will learn more by just trying it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote