Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Nail/Screw Holes...

I'm about to start repainting a house my wife and I just moved into yesterday. The majority of the house is infested with 22-year old wallpaper...but we're taking it a room at a time.

We're starting with the family room. It's currently a peachy-pink color; we're painting it a cream/tan color with a burgundy-colored accent wall. There are nail and screw holes galore.

My question is this, if I patch all of the holes with mud and sand them down, I assume I will need to prime these areas. If I do that, does that also require me to prime the rest of the walls in the room so that everything is uniform? I hadn't originally planned on having to do that.

I want to do this job right since we plan to stay in this house many years to come. Thanks in advance.

frankthetoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
made in U.S.A.

Rewards Points: 75

Nail/Screw Holes...

I would wash all walls to remove any remaining wallpaper glue. Then I would take "20 minute" drywall patch and skim all nail/screw holes. Sand smooth.

Then I would prime all walls with BIN or Cover Stain. If the burgundy wall is deep in color I would have a separate can of primer that has been tinted for that.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Nail/Screw Holes...

I agree wash, mud, skim coat. Then tint primer to desired color.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #4

Nail/Screw Holes...

Sorry, I may not have been clear... Although the house has wallpaper all over it, this is one of the rooms in the house that actually doesn't have any. Does this mean I don't need to prime? The SW folks told me I wouldn't need to prime the walls to apply the tan color, but they did suggest it for the burgundy. I didn't say anything to them about nail holes though.

If it turns out I have been spared the job of priming the entire room, do I still need to at leat apply some primer to those areas that I patched?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #5

Nail/Screw Holes...

all you really need to do is prime where you have spackled holes..just make sure you sand it down to a smooth level surface...then when you apply primer, feather it out with your brush so that is smooth over the spackle..then paint and if you do it right you want see those nail holes..

if the nail pops, screws have raised the area of the wall around it..make sure u hammer the surface in a 1/8" so that the spackle will cover it

good luck
flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
made in U.S.A.

Nail/Screw Holes...

If the paint in the room is over 10 years old, I would prime.

If the old paint is oil base, I would prime (unless you're using oil again).

You will definitely have to prime the patch areas or you will see the flashing, no matter how many coats you put on.

Once the ceiling and trim is cut in it just doesn't take that much time to prime the walls, then you will have a consistant fresh base.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 AM   #7

Nail/Screw Holes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
If the paint in the room is over 10 years old, I would prime.

If the old paint is oil base, I would prime (unless you're using oil again).

You will definitely have to prime the patch areas or you will see the flashing, no matter how many coats you put on.

Once the ceiling and trim is cut in it just doesn't take that much time to prime the walls, then you will have a consistant fresh base.
I decided to go with everyone's advice and prime the entire wall. I've never primed before, but it doesn't seem to go on as easy as paint...

Should I lightly sand the primer coat before I put on my first coat of paint?

Also, weird miscellaneous question- how in the world do you wash all of the paint out of a roller??? I'd like to use these multiple times.