Nail Pop Repairs - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Nail pop repairs

Just bought another house and I am having some challenges. The house is 40 years old, so nails were used with the drywall. There were a bunch of nail pops, and I thought I was doing everything right. The ceiling in the
Kitchen was sagging a little, so I braced a board underneath and drilled in some screws along 2 different studs. Today I noticed a crack in the area of the repairs in the joint compound about 1-2 feet long.

What did I do to cause this, and how should I have done this? What can I do to fix what I have now with this crack?

Second question: I have filled a lot of drywall screw holes and nail pop holes. I filled them first with the 45 minute lightweight setting type joint compound to level, until dry then added a finish coat on top of the tinted JC, which I feather out a little. Most of them turned out ok after sanding, but some of them have bubbled out a little (some on the wall and some on ceiling) so now there is a little mound which I can push in with my finger, which then comes back out. What am I doing wrong, and how can I correct these bubble repairs now?

Advertisement

kah5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,700

Nail pop repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah5683 View Post
Just bought another house and I am having some challenges. The house is 40 years old, so nails were used with the drywall. There were a bunch of nail pops, and I thought I was doing everything right. The ceiling in the
Kitchen was sagging a little, so I braced a board underneath and drilled in some screws along 2 different studs. Today I noticed a crack in the area of the repairs in the joint compound about 1-2 feet long.

What did I do to cause this, and how should I have done this? What can I do to fix what I have now with this crack?

Second question: I have filled a lot of drywall screw holes and nail pop holes. I filled them first with the 45 minute lightweight setting type joint compound to level, until dry then added a finish coat on top of the tinted JC, which I feather out a little. Most of them turned out ok after sanding, but some of them have bubbled out a little (some on the wall and some on ceiling) so now there is a little mound which I can push in with my finger, which then comes back out. What am I doing wrong, and how can I correct these bubble repairs now?
As Joe would say Pics would help. But I will try
1. How are you fixing these nail pops? Are you removing the nail? Are you adding a screw next to it? Are you just eliminating the nail and filling the hole?
2. Is the crack in the repair located on a beam? Sounds like this could be a joint and when you screwed up one side and then the other it cracked. Just a guess.
3. What do you mean you feathered it out a little. On a nail it should be out at least 3 or 4".
4. The bubbles did not adhere to anything. need to remove and redo and feather out farther.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,702

Nail pop repairs

If the bubbles act as if there is air trapped try piercing them with a needle while still flexible.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Nail pop repairs

Nails that pop need to be extracted, and screws should be installed to each side of the original hole. Did you tape the seams with fiberglass tape? Whenever you use screws you should put two screws close together about 3/4 inch apart so it pinches the gyp board between the two heads. MP screw heads are small.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 27

Nail pop repairs

1. How are you fixing these nail pops? Are you removing the nail? Are you adding a screw next to it? Are you just eliminating the nail and filling the hole? I use a hammer to bang in nail (along with drywall) to below the surface. When I braced with a board, I screwed all along the beam, so it was on either side of nail within 3-4 inches
2. Is the crack in the repair located on a beam? Sounds like this could be a joint and when you screwed up one side and then the other it cracked. Just a guess. The crack goes from beam to beam.
3. What do you mean you feathered it out a little. On a nail it should be out at least 3 or 4". I fill in two stages: first, fill hole until level with surface and wait until dry, then add more to feather out, and it winds up about 3-4 inches.
4. The bubbles did not adhere to anything. need to remove and redo and feather out farther. Do I need then to add enough the first time to feather out 3-4 inches so it has some more surface to adhere to initially, and not with just the second coat? If that is the problem, then this solution would make sense, other than why did just a few have this issue?
kah5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,700

Nail pop repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah5683 View Post
1. How are you fixing these nail pops? Are you removing the nail? Are you adding a screw next to it? Are you just eliminating the nail and filling the hole? I use a hammer to bang in nail (along with drywall) to below the surface. When I braced with a board, I screwed all along the beam, so it was on either side of nail within 3-4 inches
2. Is the crack in the repair located on a beam? Sounds like this could be a joint and when you screwed up one side and then the other it cracked. Just a guess. The crack goes from beam to beam.
3. What do you mean you feathered it out a little. On a nail it should be out at least 3 or 4". I fill in two stages: first, fill hole until level with surface and wait until dry, then add more to feather out, and it winds up about 3-4 inches.
4. The bubbles did not adhere to anything. need to remove and redo and feather out farther. Do I need then to add enough the first time to feather out 3-4 inches so it has some more surface to adhere to initially, and not with just the second coat? If that is the problem, then this solution would make sense, other than why did just a few have this issue?
#3 It sounds like they may have run the drywall the wrong direction and this is a butt joint that falls across the joists instead of falling on the joist. Hope this makes sense maybe someone else can explain better. If this is so it's a pretty hard fix to keep it from happening again. What you need to do is using your knife try to figure if the crack goes all the way thru if it does it's probably a butt. To repair dig out a little of the old mud then remud and retape. And if your comfortable using it make your first and second coat the powdered Durabond mix it's a lot stonger.
#4 yes make your first coat larger and cover a little more area.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote