Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #61
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Share |
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


This was a very helpful post. Unfortunately I read it just a few days too late, as I painted my bedroom in a light grey Colorplace paint just the other day. It was an extremely thin paint that has a strong odor that is still lingering. It took us 3 coats to get rid of the splotchiness on just about the entire wall and it took me probably twice as long and twice as much paint as it should have. Next time I will definitely splurge on the more expensive paint to make my life easier and my paint turn out better.

megz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #62
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific North west
Posts: 1,231
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


Quote:
Originally Posted by screwy View Post
Sdster, if you ever have a couple of minutes, I'd love to her what the difference between a good paint and a cheap paint is.
The difference is this the pigment, the binders the solvents and it has to with amounts to ratio paints that have more solvents what evaporates when the paint dries leaves the pigment and binders behind to form that protective shell.
Then the price I can get the same quality of paint from Rodda, Parker paint Kelly-moor paint at over half the cost of BM or SW it boils down to the first three things I wrote about. In no way am I say BM or SW are bad paints they just have a higher over head cost to sell their paint. Behr paint is OK Glidden is OK. Olympic paint used to be great when they were in Seattle WA and before they were bought out by PPG.
I have not used valspar but I am sure it offers quality too.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #63
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,712
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


[quote=Nailbags;840965]The difference is this the pigment, the binders the solvents and it has to with amounts to ratio paints that have more solvents what evaporates when the paint dries leaves the pigment and binders behind to form that protective shell.
Then the price I can get the same quality of paint from Rodda, Parker paint Kelly-moor paint at over half the cost of BM or SW it boils down to the first three things I wrote about. In no way am I say BM or SW are bad paints they just have a higher over head cost to sell their paint. Behr paint is OK Glidden is OK. Olympic paint used to be great when they were in Seattle WA and before they were bought out by PPG.
I have not used valspar but I am sure it offers quality too.[/quote]


not really
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #64
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


I worked as a painter thru school, you can say I have tried every paint on the market but mostly stuck with Sherwim, untill one of my clients requested Valspar for their building, He instructed me to use Valspar Duramax for the exterior and ultra premium for the interior, at the time I doubted his dessicion but went with it, as I started using the products I was impressed on both the coverage and spread rate of the paint, I then did my own comparison on side by side tests with sherwin and it was comparible or better to Sherwin but at a much lower price. As far as Olympic and Behr paints go, I can't say anything bad about them, but they are not products I would use in my home.
JeepDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #65
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


[/quote]
not really[/quote]
Mom was an analytical chemist and research chemist for at least one building that makes Valspar. She would be turning over in her grave. It is box store crap.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #66
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


I flip houses but I am not a pro painter. I do all the painting myself.

What i found was that Sherwin super paint is the best deal when they are having the 30 or 40% off sales. It will be cheaper than the others by a few dollars and this is better than Valspar or Behr.

But if they are not having a sale then I say Valspar is the one to buy.

I found with super paint and Valspar that if the walls are not textured and close to the color your painting then one coat will do it if you roll it on right.

With Behr I did not find this to be true and Behr tends to have a plastic look to it.

Super paint looks darn good and gives the house that expensive feel to it.

Valspar is the next best and I have no complaints on it at all. I use it unless Sherwin is having a sale then I go for Super Paint.

I have used Devoe mid grade and didnt like it- to thin and watery.

Kelly Moore is good but you dont find it on sale and is $5 more than Valspar.

Glidden I didnt like.

I plan to try Olympic out on the next house I do as well as Coronado just to try something different.

But if its on sale then super paint for sure.
okrabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #67
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ (South)
Posts: 148
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
real paint store vs big box ,am a sherwin williams guy use it all the time never a problem ,but i have to say for some applications i can roll out a room with lets say a valspar 2000 eggshell contractor grade sold at lowe's about 20 dollars . and i could roll a room out in s/w super paint about 45 dollars and you would not be able to tell the difference . OK is sherwin williams a better paint ? yea a little better .i guess it should be for 25dollars more. what im saying is if i did not get my prices a the real paint stores .i would go big box no problem .i can make that paint work.
Agree completely.
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #68
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ (South)
Posts: 148
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


I prefer Benjamin Moore paints due to the "paintability", meaning, to me they just feel right going up on the wall. But I also have used quite a bit of Behr. I don't think it's as easy to work with, and I don't think it gives quite as nice of a sheen (basically, their satin and eggshell finishes in comparison seem a little shinier than Ben Moore, so the Ben looks richer). But I expect a little difference when I'm spending $20-$30 more per gallon. That said, there are many situations in which I will still select Behr and take the savings. So yes, the paint from the "paint store" is better, but the "big box" is not selling crap, just a cheaper product, and it works fine. I really don't get the bashing, and whenever I see those types of ultra-biased comments it just makes me suspect any other advice that might be given by people who talk like that.
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #69
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,712
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks101 View Post
I prefer Benjamin Moore paints due to the "paintability", meaning, to me they just feel right going up on the wall. But I also have used quite a bit of Behr. I don't think it's as easy to work with, and I don't think it gives quite as nice of a sheen (basically, their satin and eggshell finishes in comparison seem a little shinier than Ben Moore, so the Ben looks richer). But I expect a little difference when I'm spending $20-$30 more per gallon. That said, there are many situations in which I will still select Behr and take the savings. So yes, the paint from the "paint store" is better, but the "big box" is not selling crap, just a cheaper product, and it works fine. I really don't get the bashing, and whenever I see those types of ultra-biased comments it just makes me suspect any other advice that might be given by people who talk like that.

What savings? As a contractor( I am guessing) do you supply materials?
In my world the customer picks a color, I pick the paint and pass that cost on to the customer. Why would I use cheap paint?

The big box statement is certainly arguable
I will not get into it here

I lied
Attached Thumbnails
My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace-behr1.jpg  
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #70
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ (South)
Posts: 148
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


Sometimes I charge for the paint, sometimes the HO buys the paint. If I buy the paint, I am going to the Ben Moore store. If HO wants to provide paint, they can go wherever they want. Like I've heard many other painters say, I let HO know any problems with application when using their paint may require labor adjustments, and I won't guarantee the finish quality. I am semi-retired and don't paint every day. I'm sure high production painters will have stronger opinions than me, but I just don't get the hatred for Behr because I think it works OK... When DIY'ers ask for advice, and they're repainting and changing colors frequently, and looking for savings, I think Behr covers fine and will last for at least those 5 years.
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #71
Member
 
Matthewt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,768
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks101 View Post
That said, there are many situations in which I will still select Behr and take the savings. So yes, the paint from the "paint store" is better, but the "big box" is not selling crap, just a cheaper product, and it works fine. I really don't get the bashing, and whenever I see those types of ultra-biased comments it just makes me suspect any other advice that might be given by people who talk like that.
If you want saving then try some of the contractor lines of BM or SW. The bashing doen't come from just hating it because it is big-box. I have personally seen plenty of catastophic failures of Behr and read about quite a few more. The stuff is known to sag on the walls, it's like a box of chocolates when it comes to thickness, and even more known for peeling within a year. That's all I got to say about that. Even Gump knows not to paint with that crap.
__________________
Latex Primer: Good for Drywall, that's about it.
Behr Paint: The plastic buckets are good, that's about it.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #72
Member
 
ccarlisle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,889
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


puck101, you are - by your own admission - what some might call an advanced DIYer when it comes to painting in that you paint more than occasionally, and are of the opinion that pretty well any paint will do the job.

This is not a knock. I'm just saying that that is the perspective you personally have on it. Now we don't know if you're colour-blind or paint by numbers, we don't know if you have taste or not, have practical experience or not, have flair or not - or any other attribute - and we don't really care. You are one person with an opinion. And your opinion is fine...

So why knock the pro painters here who paint for a living, who have tons of experience in handling different paints in different situations, and who all seem to have come to the same conclusion about Behr/Valpar/Glidden (you name it) paints? Do you have any idea of the number of professional opinions that we have seen here over the past few years on this subject? What do you think they've formed an anti-Behr union and all have their daggers out for it?

No. Each one of these guys have made comparative trials using a number of brands and have come up with a list of paints that they prefer to use day-in and day-out. S-W and B-M are somewhere near the top, Behr is towards the bottom. By trial-and-error over a number of substrates in a number of conditions, they eventually gravitate to the paints that serve them the best, over time, day -in and day-out..

That doesn't mean these lower priced products won't do a good job in a given situation for the average once-a-decade DIY painter - because he doesn't have the discerning objective these pros have - and that's the marketing aim of Home Depot etc. Not the pros.

So it comes down to optics; seen from a DIY perspective, Behr meets that standard. However from a knowledgeable perspective, it doesn't. Just depends on your viewpoint and where you are on the ladder.
__________________
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #73
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ (South)
Posts: 148
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
puck101, you are - by your own admission - what some might call an advanced DIYer when it comes to painting in that you paint more than occasionally, and are of the opinion that pretty well any paint will do the job.

This is not a knock. I'm just saying that that is the perspective you personally have on it. Now we don't know if you're colour-blind or paint by numbers, we don't know if you have taste or not, have practical experience or not, have flair or not - or any other attribute - and we don't really care. You are one person with an opinion. And your opinion is fine...

So why knock the pro painters here who paint for a living, who have tons of experience in handling different paints in different situations, and who all seem to have come to the same conclusion about Behr/Valpar/Glidden (you name it) paints? Do you have any idea of the number of professional opinions that we have seen here over the past few years on this subject? What do you think they've formed an anti-Behr union and all have their daggers out for it?

No. Each one of these guys have made comparative trials using a number of brands and have come up with a list of paints that they prefer to use day-in and day-out. S-W and B-M are somewhere near the top, Behr is towards the bottom. By trial-and-error over a number of substrates in a number of conditions, they eventually gravitate to the paints that serve them the best, over time, day -in and day-out..

That doesn't mean these lower priced products won't do a good job in a given situation for the average once-a-decade DIY painter - because he doesn't have the discerning objective these pros have - and that's the marketing aim of Home Depot etc. Not the pros.

So it comes down to optics; seen from a DIY perspective, Behr meets that standard. However from a knowledgeable perspective, it doesn't. Just depends on your viewpoint and where you are on the ladder.
You've got all this wrong - about me personally, and about what my point is. All I was trying to say is that I disagree with those of you who imply that DIY'ers and HO's are idiots for using or wanting to use Behr. I used it a few times and think it's good enough for DIY'ers who tinker around in or on their own house. Everything else you said about me was based on you misunderstanding my point, or me not doing a good job of making my point. But I certainly do not endorse Behr as a paint for professional painters, and I have never sold it to a customer to use on a job, nor have I ever recommended it.
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pucks101 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-23-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #74
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,712
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks101 View Post
Sometimes I charge for the paint, sometimes the HO buys the paint. If I buy the paint, I am going to the Ben Moore store. If HO wants to provide paint, they can go wherever they want. Like I've heard many other painters say, I let HO know any problems with application when using their paint may require labor adjustments, and I won't guarantee the finish quality. I am semi-retired and don't paint every day. I'm sure high production painters will have stronger opinions than me, but I just don't get the hatred for Behr because I think it works OK... When DIY'ers ask for advice, and they're repainting and changing colors frequently, and looking for savings, I think Behr covers fine and will last for at least those 5 years.

The HO, NEVER buys the paint I am going to use
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #75
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Default

My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace


Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks101
I prefer Benjamin Moore paints due to the "paintability", meaning, to me they just feel right going up on the wall. But I also have used quite a bit of Behr. I don't think it's as easy to work with, and I don't think it gives quite as nice of a sheen (basically, their satin and eggshell finishes in comparison seem a little shinier than Ben Moore, so the Ben looks richer). But I expect a little difference when I'm spending $20-$30 more per gallon. That said, there are many situations in which I will still select Behr and take the savings. So yes, the paint from the "paint store" is better, but the "big box" is not selling crap, just a cheaper product, and it works fine. I really don't get the bashing, and whenever I see those types of ultra-biased comments it just makes me suspect any other advice that might be given by people who talk like that.
Well states!

Gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free 5 gl of Behr Primer: Why Shouldn't I use it? Lovegasoline Painting 18 10-12-2013 07:47 AM
Behr Premium Plus Ultra beachnik Painting 2 06-15-2009 04:36 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.