Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #1

Share |

My Painter has changed the house colors on me

I have just got home from work to find the spouting and barge boards have been painted the wrong color, he is an old family friend who is about 70 so cant say anything!! The has painted one undercoat and two top coats, will anything happen if i paint the correct colors over top of it in a few weeks time, this will mean that i have 5 coats on it, will it chip off???

austiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #2

As long as you do the proper prep work, sand everything and dust off. Then apply one or two coats of the right color, it will be fine. I won't touch the reason why you're in this predicament. I can tell you this though, I'm starting to lose my sea legs when it comes to ladders, and I'm only 50. Probably not a good idea to let a seventy year old climb ladders on your house, regardless of his opinion. Just a word of caution.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Probably not a good idea to let a seventy year old climb ladders
Well, I'm 70 and I don't have a problem with ladders. I did have to give up climbing trees a few years ago though. Gave up painting a long time ago. However, if I painted your house the wrong color I would want to know about it so I could make it right.

Last edited by hkstroud; 03-20-2011 at 08:34 AM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
Well, I'm 70 and I don't have a problem with ladders. I did have to give up climbing trees a few years ago though. Gave up painting a long time ago. However, if I painted your house the wrong color I would want to know about it so I could make it right.

Time treats us all differently. A mason friend is 70 plus,and still scampers up a scaffold quite nicely.-----Time has been kind to that man.----Mike---
Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
I knew I'd draw the seventy-somethings out with that comment. All out of concern HK. No harm, no offense meant. Some people don't realize their limitations, or abilities, especially when it comes to things you use to be able to do, maybe your different. If you climb on your house it's fine, but I wouldn't recommend you do. And I wouldn't ask you or allow you to offer it on mine. Over the years I've just heard too many stories. The most recent from a customer. One of her family members, not sure who now, was hell bent on going up to the roof to fix something. He was told not and agreed not to. His wife came home and couldn't find him, calling for him. She saw the ladder through the kitchen window and went to the door to find him dead on the deck. He fell off the roof. He was described as being fit and healthy for his age too. Stability and balance, and a host of other things, can be absent in a fit and healthy 70 year old. I have an elbow that I can't be sure would hold my weight if it was required to do so. It's just not a wise move. I only hope I'm this rational when they come for my license someday. The things we used to be able to do.

Curious what you edited out Hk, young whippersnapping mf'er maybe, lol. Take care of yourself.

Last edited by jsheridan; 03-20-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Time treats us all differently. A mason friend is 70 plus,and still scampers up a scaffold quite nicely.-----Time has been kind to that man.----Mike---
As I implied with "maybe your different", there are exceptions, and I've seen them myself. God Bless 'em.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-20-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #7

I fully appreciate what everyone is saying about knowing limitations and using some good common sense but I would rather end up at the bottom of a ladder than waste away in a nursing home.

I can still do anything I use to could do, it just takes me longer. A sheet of 1/2" half plywood, no problem, 3/4" ply a little heavy, 3/4" particle board a pain. I will not give up anything willingly. Too often I've seen people with an attitude of "I'm xx, I can't do that". Well, you can't do it because you didn't do it, when you could .

A little antidote for your Sunday morning enjoyment.

A friend got a call from his father on his grandfather's 90th birthday,

His father, "Do you know what you grandfather is doing to celebrate his 90th birthday"?
My friend, "What do you mean, my grandfather, he is your father."
My friend, "What is he doing"?
His father, "He is up on his roof replacing shingles"

Seems that his grandfather gave up driving at 85, gave his car to one of his grandsons. After that when he needed to go to the store, he walked. That was alright, because his grandfather lived in southern California and it doesn't rain much there, and the store was only about two miles.

Joe, what I edit out were typos.

Last edited by hkstroud; 03-20-2011 at 10:35 AM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #8

Quote:
I fully appreciate what everyone is saying about knowing limitations and using some good common sense but I would rather end up at the bottom of a ladder than waste away in a nursing home.

I can still do anything I use to could do, it just takes me longer. A sheet of 1/2" half plywood, no problem, 3/4" ply a little heavy, 3/4" particle board a pain. I will not give up anything willingly. Too often I've seen people with an attitude of "I'm xx, I can't do that". Well, you can't do it because you didn't do it, when you could .

A little antidote for your Sunday morning enjoyment.

A friend got a call from his father on his grandfather's 90th birthday,

His father, "Do you know what you grandfather is doing to celebrate his 90th birthday"?
My friend, "What do you mean, my grandfather, he is your father."
My friend, "What is he doing"?
His father, "He is up on his roof replacing shingles"

Seems that his grandfather gave up driving at 85, gave his car to one of his grandsons. After that when he needed to go to the store, he walked. That was alright, because his grandfather lived in southern California and it doesn't rain much there, and the store was only about two miles.

Joe, what I edit out were typos.
Amen!