Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
jschaben

Share |
Question

And, my next move is?????

Started on a long overdue repaint on a garden glider today. Original plan was to simply repaint. Rustoleum primer and enamel on the frame, oil based primer and BM gloss exterior latex house paint (Moorgard) on the seat and back rails.
Got the frame spot sanded and it was to windy to spray it today so started sanding the seat and back rails. Son-of-a-gun, pretty decent hardwood under about 3 layers of poorly applied latex. Not sure what kind of wood it is, I suspect Jarrah.
Right now I'm thinking just some boiled linseed oil for a finish. Any thoughts on this? Can anyone identify the wood for sure?
This thing lives outdoors 24/7/365 and I was a little concerned about UV.

Last pic is the contraption the stuff came off of. Picked the thing up at a garage sale awhile back.
Attached Thumbnails
And, my next move is?????-p1030967.jpg   And, my next move is?????-p1030965.jpg   And, my next move is?????-p1030966.jpg  

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #2

Not a "for sure" answer but it looks like mahogany to me.

STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

That or teak
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
jschaben

Thanks for the input. My first guess was mahogany but it seemed a little brownish and I got to looking around and found this:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...ics/jarrah.htm

I'd normally consider this an exotic and dismiss it but who knows where the thing was built and jarrah seems fairly common down under.

I guess my real concern is whether boiled linseed oil would cure well enough for a seating application. Type of wood is really only important in getting a feel for UV resistance as I don't think BLO offers any protection from that.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #5

Boiled linseed oil is a penetrating oil that is poor finish for exterior, not only its not water and not heat resistant but also when heat hits the wood. The linseed will come up to the surface of wood. It will feel sticky.

You can use a marine varnish, but unless you want to maintain it every 2 years.
Even the water based exterior clear coats needs to be maintained.

You can try General finish 450 varnish
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18526

I haven't tried it
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevenH For This Useful Post:
chrisn (07-16-2011), jschaben (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
Boiled linseed oil is a penetrating oil that is poor finish for exterior, not only its not water and not heat resistant but also when heat hits the wood. The linseed will come up to the surface of wood. It will feel sticky.

You can use a marine varnish, but unless you want to maintain it every 2 years.
Even the water based exterior clear coats needs to be maintained.

You can try General finish 450 varnish
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18526

I haven't tried it
Thanks for that Steven - I've only used BLO to seal MDF used in shop jigs and such. Never anything outside. I've got a can of oil based Minwax Spar Urethane that would probably work. I like the look of the wood but not sure I like the maintenance aspect.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
(the original)

John, don't use the Helmsman. There's good reason why you can buy a gallon of that for less than the price of a quart of a real marine varnish like Epifanes. That's not to say it's a bad product, it's just not really suitable for anything exposed to weather extremes. It works ok on vertical surfaces that don't get a lot of direct sunlight, but will probably be flaking off by this time next year if you use it on that glider.
Good protection and looks, and easiest maintenance would be with any of the brands of tung oil based finishes labeled "teak oil". If there aren't any boat supply houses nearby, you should be able to find the Watco brand at a box store.

My guess on the species is Honduran mahogany...for what it's worth
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbefishin' For This Useful Post:
StevenH (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #8

John, I think I like the look of clear, versus paint. On a project like that, the maintenance shouldn't be a problem. Light sand, dust off, apply a coat--one/two hours. You wouldn't need to dismantle, just face it off. Between the hardwood and a good initial coat, the underside should be okay for your lifetime. What color will the frame be? I like black, brown, or white.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
jschaben

Thanks for the input guys. I had my reservations about the Helmsman which is why I was thinking linseed oil. Marinas are a bit hard to come by here in central Kansas but big boxes we got. Will check out HD or ACE for tung/teak oil.
I've already dismantled it, see original post and pics. Had 3 or 4 coats of latex paint on it. Just found the hardwood sanding it down for repaint.... light sanding was out of the question. Got a little more sanding to do. I will likely leave some of the white in the pores rather than take the wood down far enough to get all of it. The plan for the frame is a coat of Rustoleum red primer and then Rustoleum Almond Gloss Enamel, probably going with the HVLP if the wind ever dies down enough. I need to finish this one outside.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
jschaben

Just one more question on tung oil... Can it be applied over a stain, oil based stain of course?

Old 07-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
the Musigician

I have to disagree a little bit here. I built my back porch from (100% recycled) Australian Jarrah and Brazilian Walnut(Ipey). I have ONLY used boiled linseed oil on it over the years and it is NEVER sticky (in the sun or the shade) and always looks beautiful. I need to maintain (re-oil) twice a year but it's worth it. That being said, I do not think I'd use it on the glider unless you have cushions as it IS an oil and it might stain clothing if you sit on it for long periods of time.

DM
Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Just one more question on tung oil... Can it be applied over a stain, oil based stain of course?
Yes as long the stain completely dries.
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenH For This Useful Post:
jschaben (07-18-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I have to disagree a little bit here. I built my back porch from (100% recycled) Australian Jarrah and Brazilian Walnut(Ipey). I have ONLY used boiled linseed oil on it over the years and it is NEVER sticky (in the sun or the shade) and always looks beautiful. I need to maintain (re-oil) twice a year but it's worth it. That being said, I do not think I'd use it on the glider unless you have cushions as it IS an oil and it might stain clothing if you sit on it for long periods of time.

DM

Even its not sticky , I still wouldn't use it for exterior use.
There was one case before, where you see smudges or white lighter spots. It was cause by water penetrating the oil.