Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #1

Share |

My Dear Husband...

My dear husband, a former electrical, mechanical and general contractor but NOT a painting contractor, is in the midst of staining our new cedar deck. Bless him.

The deck was put down and it was done well and then the weather turned ugly. Two months passed. My dear husband (we'll just say dh from this point on) decided that the deck had weathered some in the rain and he pressure washed the deck to brighten it up. It dried and there were light gray/white marks all over, especially near knots in the wood. SO he pressure washed it again and he thought it looked better but I think it is pretty close to the same.

Today he is staining the deck. He is using Penofin clear. While wet it looks great. As it dries you still see the gray. So what should dh do now? The horse is out of the barn, so to speak. He has a single coat on about 2/3 of the 16' x 65' deck.

Needs advice please. He just asked me to check on line and see if I could get some sound advice.

Ask him to build a marina and you will never be happier. I don't think there is enough scotch in the world to get him to do this over again...

Last edited by osmoses; 07-29-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: poor punctuation
osmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #2

My Dear Husband...

Nothing you can do except strip off what has been put on. Instead of pressure washing, you may have to resort to some sanding. Experiment on some inconspicuous boards first to see if you can remove the "gray". To add additional coats at this point is only gonna make it worse.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
osmoses (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Paint Pro

My Dear Husband...

power wash with sherwin-williams deckwash, then recoat with a pigmented stain to hide dark spots
Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

My Dear Husband...

Usually a clear sealer will not change the basic color of the deck so look for a semi-transparent stain color you like. If the discoloration is dramatic, you could go to a semi-solid stain with more pigment but expect your maintenance to increase. I do not like putting solid stain on deck surfaces so avoid that temptation if you can.

Last edited by user1007; 07-30-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Added Images
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Expert Paint (07-31-2012)

Tags
deck staining, penofin