Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Muralo Superfinish Ceramic Semi Gloss

We have a 1905 Victorian and due to an electrical issue, we gutted the entire house. My wife went to the local paint store in NJ and came back with Muralo Superfinish Ceramic Semi Gloss. We painted all of the new windows, and the risers to our new stairs with this paint. It's a disaster, there's zero shine and after 2 months, we went to wipe the risers because they had some dirt on them and the paint came off. Beware - this paint is terrible. I was never happy with the windows - even after 3 coats, now it seems this fall everything will need to be cleaned and repainted - oh happy day. I was highly skeptical about Muralo, I had always heard they were contractor grade - now I know for certain. Please learn from my pain so you can minimize yours.

Last edited by oh'mike; 07-21-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: removed link
RunNotWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunNotWalk View Post
We have a 1905 Victorian and due to an electrical issue, we gutted the entire house. My wife went to the local paint store in NJ and came back with Muralo Superfinish Ceramic Semi Gloss. We painted all of the new windows, and the risers to our new stairs with this paint. It's a disaster, there's zero shine and after 2 months, we went to wipe the risers because they had some dirt on them and the paint came off. Beware - this paint is terrible. I was never happy with the windows - even after 3 coats, now it seems this fall everything will need to be cleaned and repainted - oh happy day. I was highly skeptical about Muralo, I had always heard they were contractor grade - now I know for certain. Please learn from my pain so you can minimize yours.
Hey RNW,

Sorry to hear about your probs with Muralo, but have you talked to them about these problems? ...or the dealer that sold you the Superfinish? I'm also curious why you would've chosen Muralo if you were skeptical about 'em anyway? Muralo is a very good company that makes very, very good products and I'd never consider them a "contractor grade" product line (assuming you mean lesser quality when you say "contractor grade") ... (also, if you heard they were more of a contractor grade company, you heard wrong or didn't do your homework).

You chose Superfinish - and again I'm curious, why didn't you choose Ultra? In my opinion, Ultra is one of the finest products on the market. I've not personally tried the SF line, but I know it's not a great compromise from a premium finish and positioned well above their contractor line of products.

You said the paint came off after a couple months just from wiping dirt off the surface - that is certainly an indication something's wrong, but not necessarily that something is wrong with the paint. Paint doesn't behave that way - if it came off, it came off for a reason...and that reason usually has more to do with improper or insufficient surface preparation and/or improper application of product...in other words, applicator error. You have not provided enough information to help determine the cause of this problem, but I guarantee you the failure is not the result of a shoddy product.

So, that is why I questioned whether you've talked to Muralo or the dealer yet. I assume you have not. I have dealt with Muralo for many years and know them to stand behind their products. They can (and will) come out to inspect your finish and determine the definitive, or probable cause of non-performance - then define a proper system of prep, product and application to resolve (if you work with them, they may even comp part of the paint as a goodwill gesture).

Without a proper determination of the problem at hand, repainting with a different product will very probably have the same results. Talk to Muralo and work with them to resolve this issue - rather than use this forum to publicly attack and malign the products or integrity of this company.

Last edited by beenthere; 07-21-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Removed link from quote
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (07-21-2013), chrisn (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,194

Sounds like applicator error to me. Muralo is a very fine paint.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceramic, muralo, semi-gloss, trim