To Mud Or Not To Mud? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

To mud or not to mud?

We have been in our house for 17 years. We had the whole house painted in and out. When they did the garage, which was already painted, they did not mud over the tape. Neither did the original painter. So, now I am going to paint the garage this summer and was wondering if it was worth it to mud and and smooth out all of the tape lines.

Advice?
Attached Thumbnails
To mud or not to mud?-garage-ceiling.jpg   To mud or not to mud?-garage-wall.jpg  

Advertisement

Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,278

To mud or not to mud?

It depends. If you're like me, those unfinished joints would bother me. If you're planning on repainting, now is the time to finish those joints. In the end, you will be happy that you did so.

The other end of the spectrum is saying, well, they never finished the joints in the first place, and, it's just a garage, so does it really matter?

My vote is to do it up right and finish those joints.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
chrisn (04-24-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,670

To mud or not to mud?

Totally agree with finishing them. Plus will give you a little practice with your drywall skills that may come in handy later.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,500

To mud or not to mud?

Normally drywall needs to be taped to meet building code. Not only does it help stop fire/smoke from getting past, but it also stops potentially deadly exhaust gases from cars in the garage from getting into your home.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

To mud or not to mud?

Thanks for the replies. The garage is taped, it was just never mudded over completely. I do have one question, though. Where the tape has loosened from the drywall, will mudding help it adhere, or do I need to re-tape? I have never done extensive dry wall repair.

Thanks.
Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 31

To mud or not to mud?

You won't be able to fix it by just mudding over the top of it. You may be able to put some mud behind it and get it to stay. But, more than likely, you will need to cut out any loose pieces, and either just fill with mud, or use (gasp) mesh tape for a small repair. Depending on the size, the whole tape might come off (as long as it doesn't damage the sheetrock itself), then you could just re-tape and mud the right way.
ToHellWithUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

To mud or not to mud?

It's called fire tape....level one of tapeing quality... done just to meet code.... quite common in garages.

Personally, I think its stupid not to just finish it off a little further at least... but that is personal taste only.

If you decide to finish it off further, I'd say rip off any tape not well mudded to the rock.....

I've seen some guys try to remud under loose tape.... which I think is just a waste of time.

Maybe there are some tricks to remudding loose tape... I'm a GC ... not a drywaller

Good luck...
Old 04-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

To mud or not to mud?

Being the garage guy I am (see the link in my signature).....

I agree with the above.....mud it and do it right.....

But....before you do that....now is a good time to decide if you want those extra outlets and lights. By now you have figured out that you don't have outlets where you need them....it's not a big deal to cut a 6" wide section down the side of the garage...put in more wire and outlets...pop the pieces back and and tape and mud.

Oh....you want those outlets about 50+ from the floor...that way you can lean a 4x8 sheet of something against the wall and it won't block the outlet.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-25-2014), ToHellWithUGA (04-25-2014), ToolSeeker (04-25-2014)