Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moving into old home: need help with painting

Hello, new to this site and new to renting a house.

So me and my SO just started renting a house and we are in desperate need of advice on how to go about repainting the whole place. We got a really good deal, thus why we picked a home that needed new paint everywhere.

Anyways! The place has been painted so horribly, we don't know where to start. There is uneven paint every where with thick and thin areas, bumps, cracks, visible paint strokes, missed areas, lumps, the list goes on. The home is fairly old, but has been renovated a few years prior.

How to we prepare for this disaster? I was thinking of stripping the paint off somehow and sanding/ patching any holes and bumps...

Any advice? I can't seem to find much on fixing this poorly of a paint job online. It is that bad!!! The homeowner did it himself *cringes* and obviously had no idea what he was doing...

Any advice appreciated! Looking to do this ourselves, as we have the time and money for it.

cassada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,042

Might start by posting some pictures of different areas. That's a lot cover, each material your try to work may need a different approach.
Take the time to look over some of the older post under painting there's thousands of them covering anything you could possible come across.
A few rules when painting and trying to live in the house at the same time:
Stick with doing one room at a time.
Use quality paint store paint not some cheap box store paint.
Use a quality paint brush and roller covers, if not your going to have brush marks and fuzz all over the wall.
Primer and paint will not fix flaw, if you can feel them with your hand there going to show.
Any repairs to drywall, or bare wood need to be primed before painting.
Learn how to paint with a 2-1/2" sash brush instead of using expensive and messy tape.
Using a 1/2 nap roller will hold more paint and leave a slight stipple that will hide some of the flaws.
Use flat paint on the ceiling.
Always paint the trim before the walls.
Start at the top and work your way down.
Make sure you protect the flooring.
Work in an empty room, furniture's going to slow you down.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Take ideas from old post under painting wallpapers and you can also hire interior and exterior painting expert
TTpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTpainting View Post
Take ideas from old post under painting wallpapers and you can also hire interior and exterior painting expert

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,270

The best way to do it may be post one problem at a time with pics. When you use the shotgun approach sometimes important parts get left out.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-28-2013), joecaption (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,138

The very first thing you need to do is find out if there is lead in the paint currently on the walls. Most paint stores have lead testing kits for about 30 dollars. If there is (and if it's an old house there most certainly is) than you will have to buy a respirator before doing any sanding. You can "straighten" out lots of defects in a paint job with a random orbital sander with 60 or 80 grit being very careful not to gouge the walls or grind off more paint than necessary. This will at least knock off the high spots of the poor paint job.

If the paint is really, really bad, you may end up having to skim coat the walls with joint compound which is a whole other discussion.

On the plus side, if painting issues are all you have, well, that's much better than electrical, plumbing, or heating/cooling issues!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Gymschu is right, if the home was built earlier that 1978, lead testing is the first step. Although houses built in the 60's and 70's are less likely to contain lead paint than older homes, its still possible. Lead or not, extensive sanding creates harmfully dust, so wear a respirator either way.

I've tackle a few tough jobs like your describing, and I'll tell you how I would start. Provided there is no lead present;

Sand the crap out of everything. Like Gym said, use a random orbital sander. Only I would use 100-120 paper. Rougher paper can be faster, but with 120 there is less risk of gouging/over sanding the walls and trim. And it will leave a smoother texture when your done. Gets plenty of sand paper as it wears out fast.

Doing that much sanding in an occupied space it really, really helps to have a shop vac hooked up to the sander. A standard 1 1/4" shop vac hose almost fits over the dust port of a Dewalt orbital sander (close enough that a 'duct tape adapter' will work ) Makita, Ryobi, and other brands will work also as long as they have a round dust port.

With extensive sanding, you can fix a lot of things that would otherwise require skim coating (blobs, brush strokes). After sanding, start patching. Small nail/fastener holes can be filled with spackle. Use joint compound for larger areas. Short of re-taping, stress cracks in the walls can be filled with caulk. (Not silicone)

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-28-2013)