Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Share |

Moulding before painting

Getting estimates for painting and I was told all the mouldings should go on before they paint because they have to be caulked and then the caulking is painted. If it goes on after then the caulking won't be painted. Is this correct? Thanks.

Mstrlucky74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

Moulding before painting

It is the correct way yes.
Is always more then one way, but all molding and caulking then paint.
Molding and caulking later is more time and a second trip and more money.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

Moulding before painting

I would disagee.
I like to be able to just roll all the walls Then install the trim.
That way all I have to do is touch up painting.
Both ways will work, no way is wrong just a matter of opion.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

Moulding before painting

I now see the other post about re-finish the hard wood floors.
Also makes me wonder if the trim is stained grade or paint. Will the trim be a different color?
I agree with Joe an rolling out the walls and installing the trim later. But if I was a painter, I think I would need to charge more for having to come out for a second trip just for a small amount of trim. Would probably take just long enough will have a short day and not able to schedule something else for the rest of the day,
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Moulding before painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would disagee.

If you were an actual painter, you would not
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
ltd

Moulding before painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Getting estimates for painting and I was told all the mouldings should go on before they paint because they have to be caulked and then the caulking is painted. If it goes on after then the caulking won't be painted. Is this correct? Thanks.
yes .
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #7

Moulding before painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would disagee.
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! No highlighting, all of it. That's just plain foolish, requires extra work, and results in a less than satisfactory finish. Joe, I've seen the jobs where contractors do the painting and, trust me, it's always sub-par. The only way carpenters and general contractors get away with it is because the average homeowner doesn't realize the difference between a quality paint finish and a sub-par finish. I tell everyone I know, if you have a painter that you like hire him, and don't allow the contractor to supply the painter. You're either going to pay more to cover the GC's markup, which puts pressure on the painter, because he's possibly getting less than he needs, or it's the "new construction" mentality, and many times the GC is hiring the cheaper painters to widen his spread. So you're getting a lesser quality finish for a higher price. Or, he and his men do the painting and, well, now the conversation has gone full circle.

I do some damn good carpentry work, but I don't sell those services, I'm a painter and that's where I concentrate. It's called division of labor. It's taken me a lifetime, day in day out, to earn the experience in my field. Home Depot doesn't put the carpenters or electricians or plumbers they hire in the paint department, they put them where they fit and belong. If I, as an HO, went to the carpentry forum, do I want a painter or a capenter/GC answering my question? Well?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Moulding before painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post

They were correct.
The finishing ( ie caulking, filling etc) needs more than touch up, it needs a full coat- best if done after prime before both finish coats.
Sometimes I will prime before trim. But usually I will do walls last- then all the lines are made clean by cutting into the trim.
Listen to your painters, not the carpenters on this paint advice forum.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

Moulding before painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Home Depot doesn't put the carpenters or electricians or plumbers they hire in the paint department, they put them where they fit and belong.
Don't they cross-train? Pretty sure you learn all the departments if you work there for an extended time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
If I, as an HO, went to the carpentry forum, do I want a painter or a capenter/GC answering my question? Well?
Being a public DIY forum, I'd want a diverse spectrum of replies. Nothing wrong w tips from a non-pro.

I have always liked Joe's way of painting the walls myself... With many coats of primer to do on fresh drywall, it's fast and easy to prime clear down to the floor with a roller. Have your outlets all taken off and you can do everything but the corners w the roller.

Painting the trim too... if you're going paint grade, you can lay them all out on some saw horses and paint an entire Pro-pack of casings and baseboard trim in 20 min. Do that installed and you're edging w a brush all day long. If you're going stained then edging along stained moldings would take forever if you're doing 4 coats - 2 primer and 2 paint.

Then install. Then caulk. Then, if you've used a caulk that doesn't look right w your wall and baseboards, go do one final touch-up coat... also hit all the miter joints now to be sure they're all nice painted seams. This is faster... For me. Not saying pros can't do it faster another way -- and Pros are going to be much faster at edging that trim than a homeowner, so this might not be as big a deal for you.

Another consideration is that a pro paint company will want to come in, start and finish... last thing they want to do is break every project in two by doing half the work, wait for a finish carpenter to do the trim, then schedule out to the same house again to do the finish paint work. That's just not efficient. But a homeowner does not have that concern since he's there all the time.

Now Mrlucky was getting quotes to have this professionally painted, so yes, in that case, I fully agree w you for the above reason. Trim first so the paint contractor can just come in and do it all in one shot.

Last edited by SquishyBall; 04-11-2013 at 09:37 AM.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Painting Contractor CT

Moulding before painting

As long as the walls are primed first, then you would install the molding and paint walls.
Good Luck!
KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #11

Moulding before painting

If you're doing it yourself, then it's far easier to paint trim off the wall than on the wall. This is especially true with hardwood floors and stained rather than painted shoe molding. And Joe is correct - it's far easier to roll without the trim in place.

Having said that, painters are not going to want to make 2 trips to paint the trim, then come back and install and paint over the caulk line and touch up.

If you use a standard semi-gloss white trim paint, and a brilliant white caulk, you might not feel the need to paint over the caulk line. This is especially true along door casings, where the straight line of caulk in the "crevice" will not really show up with any sheen issues.

But there are other spots, like nail holes etc. where you'll notice it.

Also, it's easier to get a sharp line between the wall and the trim if you paint the trim after the wall. But if the trim is already painted, you only need to worry about the caulk line, nail holes etc. If you can make a perfect caulk line and it matches your paint really well, then you might not care about painting over it. The sheen/color difference doesn't matter as much in the straight lines along the edges of trim, it matter more in the nail holes and other caulked spots.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #12

Moulding before painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
But usually I will do walls last- then all the lines are made clean by cutting into the trim.
Painting the walls after the door/window trim is easier than painting the door/window trim first. But painting the bottom edge of the wall against the top of the baseboard is not so easy, because gravity is working against you and pulling the paint edge down. It's easier to paint a clean edge on the baseboard over the wall than vice-versa. The top edge of the baseboard also gives the brush a natural line to ride along, whereas when painting the wall, it's more awkward to hold that line without touching the top of the baseboard.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

Moulding before painting

And so that is the one place I always use tape. fast, easy , works like a charm.

I use 3" paper and 1" tape on a masker, blade tight.So no spatters on base either. Tuck dropcloth under masking. Clean floor- i know you have problems keeping the floor clean..

Last edited by Brushjockey; 04-11-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #14

Moulding before painting

I use the 3m TA20
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/3...46571/Cat/1464

It works quite well, but you do have to make sure it's well attached along the edge or you'll get bleed through.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Moulding before painting

Cool- probably works well.
I like the paper masking + tape , because really you only need about 1/8-1/4" of sticky to attach to the top of the base. Why pay for 2-3"?
Paper rolls are cheap- kind of like dropcloth extender.