Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #1

Share |

More primer?

I'm remodeling our bathroom and it's getting close to completion. I used 2 coats of Zinsser 123 Bullseye primer/sealer to prime the walls and put a coat of Behr semi-gloss light green on last night.

The color is really bad, think mint chocolate chip (without the chocolate). Wife is picking a new color tonight. Here's the question.

Would you put another coat of primer on to ready the walls for the next color or go straight over the current putrid green with the next choice?

Thanks for your help.
brettcmirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #2

More primer?

OK, it didn't take long to see that most think Behr paints are garbage.
I'm sending my wife to Sherwin Williams or Dunn Edwards for samples.

Question is still: Can I just put a couple of coats of the new paint over the Behr semi gloss or should I reprime? Is this a stupid question (i.e. should you ever prime over a semi gloss).
Old 06-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
made in U.S.A.

More primer?

What are the new and old colors?

To re-prime depends on how radical the color difference is, paint a test area and see how good the "hide" is.

If you buy at Dunn-Edwards I'd recommend Perma-sheen.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #4

More primer?

You shouldn't need to prime unless your new color has a bad hide, like yellows or reds. You might want to scuff sand the walls just a bit to knock the gloss off for maximum adhesion.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

More primer?

Right over the putrid green after a good scuff sanding and it's wiped free of duct
...unless it's a wicked color change (or your are using deep blue, red or black or something really deep...then use a gray primer)
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #6

More primer?

I also advise to scuff the walls, and too just repaint. Another good idea for the future would be to tint your primer to either the selected color or a shade darker, this will also give you a better idea as to what your selected color will look like. Saves you from puttin a finish on that you do not like.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #7

More primer?

Thanks to all of you who replied. A light sanding and a couple of coats of Dunn Edwards light tan covered it easily. Looks great!

It looks to me that the Dunn Edwards covers better than the Behr. No sign of any brush marks on the trim, and I'm a novice painter (I'm sure that was obvious).

Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
made in U.S.A.

More primer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcmirl View Post
It looks to me that the Dunn Edwards covers better than the Behr. No sign of any brush marks on the trim, and I'm a novice painter (I'm sure that was obvious).
Glad it worked out.

The cost of using the best materials is cheap compared to the dissatisfaction of a job gone bad because of low-end materials.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp

More primer?

Sweet
Thanks for the update

I've not used the Dunn Edwards myself, but I'm not surprised to hear it works better than Behr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
The cost of using the best materials is cheap compared to the dissatisfaction of a job gone bad because of low-end materials.
How true
It's also scary how quick dissatisfaction can turn into frustration and/or a nightmare when low-end materials don't work well and/or start failing
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
registered

More primer?

You were off to a perfect start with 123 then the behr big mistake. Best paint for bathrooms is either zinsser permawhite mold and mildew resistant or Ben Moore kitchen and bath
747 is offline   Reply With Quote