Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #1

Share |

More painting questions from a newbie.

I posted a while back with questions on removing old wallpaper and thanks to your suggestions, I'm almost finished!

My intentions were to only repaint the walls, as the baseboards looked to be in good shape. However, after moving some furniture I discovered one side was poorly painted and it looks like the paint is bubbled up.

Also, after pulling down the drapes, I discovered chipped paint around the windows.

Can I get away with sanding this down and repainting it?

Also, since I'm going to have to repaint baseboards and window seals, in order to match I'll need to repaint my doors, but this paint seems to be a glossy paint. How do I need to go about repainting over it?

Thank you again for all your help. You're all lifesavers. Cherry ones, as a matter of fact.

Tab1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #2

Is the chipped paint on the drywall or on the window frame? If it's on the drywall, that may indicate a moisture problem as drywall typically won't peel. The baseboard were probably painted with latex before so you can just paint right over them with latex but if they are still real glossy you might want to give them a light scuffing with some sandpaper.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #3

Hi Matthew! It's actually on the window frame, not the drywall.
Tab1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

Sure, you can sand that then. Any bare wood should get primer.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970
Sure, you can sand that then. Any bare wood should get primer.
Yuppers!
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
I posted a while back with questions on removing old wallpaper and thanks to your suggestions, I'm almost finished!

My intentions were to only repaint the walls, as the baseboards looked to be in good shape. However, after moving some furniture I discovered one side was poorly painted and it looks like the paint is bubbled up.

Also, after pulling down the drapes, I discovered chipped paint around the windows.

Can I get away with sanding this down and repainting it?

Also, since I'm going to have to repaint baseboards and window seals, in order to match I'll need to repaint my doors, but this paint seems to be a glossy paint. How do I need to go about repainting over it?
Scrape all loose or failing paint, and sand to smooth out.

To paint over glossy paint, first determine if it is oil or latex. (If high-test rubbing alcohol removes some paint, it's latex.) Scuff sand, clean, and if oil, prime with a bonding primer. Topcoat with two coats of quality trim coating. (I prefer waterbourne enamel; either SW ProClassic or BM Impervo.)

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote