Originally Posted by brucie1dog
The contractor told me they normally put ammonia in the paint to kill mold and bacteria. It was painted a week ago and it still smells after leaving a fan on and the door open.
To begin, manufacturers do not
add ammonia to product to kill, or control mold or mildew. There are many acrylics that require an ammoniated surfactant (chemical soap) to allow all components to amalgamate in a continual and uniform manner...These surfactants also help determine the flow characteristics of product (rheology). That is the reason some acrylic products have an ammoniated smell to them - obviously, some more than others.
If the smell you're experiencing is from the surfactant, that should dissipate soon enough (and sometimes those will have a slight "urine" smell). However, if there was mold/mildew/bacteria in the can, I think it's safe to say the entire can was contaminated and that now has been introduced to your wall...which won't get better (and may even get worse).
It'd be interesting to know the brand of product your painter used as a finish - then have a rep from that company over for his/her opinion (best if that rep is not from the same location where your painter shops). If they determine the smell is due to mold/mildew/bacteria from the surface, ask their recommendation to resolve (in writing), then discuss with your painter. If that is the case, your painter has a responsibility to correct - but I don't think I'd trust his input on the proper means to resolve.