Moldy Drywall - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

moldy drywall

I am remodeling a bathroom-total gut and re-do. There was a water leak around the tub and the water got up into the drywall in the next room. When I pulled all the drywall out and could see the back of the drywall in the adjoining room it is moldy and discolored.

What to do with this? Can I do some cleaning and maybe prime the area?

Thanks!

Advertisement

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,070

moldy drywall

The drywall is more than likely compromised on both sides of that wall. Pull the drywall atleast one stud past the infected area on both sides of the wall. Use bleach on any suspect framing. Use a fan to help dry out that area.

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

moldy drywall

If the backing paper on the drywall is "moldy and discolored" it has likely separated from the "core" of the board, which affects the integrity (strength) of the board. As Mathew recommended, removing and replacing the affected area is the only way to properly repair it.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

moldy drywall

I'd also replace the moldy drywall. Sure, you could treat it with bleach, but it's structural integrity is in doubt and, if you are already hanging drywall, I don't see that some work on the opposite wall will be that much additional hassle.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

moldy drywall

Thanks for the comments-

The drywall in question is in a bathroom and behind a vanity. It will be a big mess to pull the trim, vanity, tile, etc to get to the front side of the drywall. I know I will eventually do that, but would like some options until I get to that bathroom.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

moldy drywall

If everything structurally is ok bleach will clean the mold off the exposed sites. What bleach doesn't do is kill the mold spores that live in the paper. Look for a product called Moldex. It comes in varing forms for cleaning and is designed to kill the spores. Also when you replace your drywall find a dealer that carries the mostureresistant mold defense board. Most mfg's of drywall are actaully not producing regular water resistant anymore with out the mold inhibitive attribute added.
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

moldy drywall

Ayup and add another to the other replies

Removal and replacement of sheetrock in the affected areas, with fungicides and shellac sealing as/if needed on framing

If it's a relatively light/new contamination, and the structure of the drywall hasn't been compromised, you might be able to kill the mold with a mildecide, then seal it with a shellac, and at least halt that contamination
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
That's Not My Job

Rewards Points: 10

moldy drywall

I echo what the others have said about removing the drywall to a safe point past the infection. The cost in health and eventual 'must do' repair is greater than what it would be now. Children can be especially vulnerable to molds.

Stachybotrys, or "Black Mold" can be really nasty sometimes and loves the environment of damp wall materials. When I did the remodel of the upstairs bathroom they use backer board for the new shower walls that were then covered in slate tiles, as well as the floor that is also done in slate.

Some of the other folks might feel this is overkill or not the best solution and I'd take their advice, this is just my own preference.

Brian
StarsOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

moldy drywall

Mold is a serious issue.
As a middle-aged man, I once lived in a CA appartment with mold spots popping through the bathroom paint, and would wake up choking and not able to breath.

There were some other contributing issues such as a back injury/acid reflux/smoking/etc... which at the time I thought were the contributing factors, but in retrospect the mold might have had something to do with it. No doubt this would be a problem for the children and/or elderly.

Known mold issues might also haunt a sale years later. Better to do it right and get rid of all of it now.
Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
registered

Rewards Points: 524

moldy drywall

Tilex mold and mildew remover. Just spray and walk away. It will all disappear. Make sure you open the window. It is strong stuff. They carry it at my dollar general store. Look in the clean the bathroom section. Its next to the ajax in mine.

Advertisement

747 is offline   Reply With Quote