Mold Resistant Paint Question - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mold Resistant Paint Question

Hi, this is my first post. I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a mold problem in my bathroom (the source of the mold has been repaired and an exhaust fan installed)

What's better, mold additive or a mold paint e.g. Ronseel? If so which is best?
I have heard anti-mold paints really are just standard paints with a fungicide added? is that the case, I expected they would be thicker to have a less porous surface.

Many Thanks

Advertisement

mgb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Zinsser PERMA-WHITEŽ Mold & Mildew Proof™* Interior Paint is what my bathrooms are done in.

Advertisement

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,224

either that or this
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb7 View Post
Hi, this is my first post. I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a mold problem in my bathroom (the source of the mold has been repaired and an exhaust fan installed)

I have heard anti-mold paints really are just standard paints with a fungicide added? is that the case, I expected they would be thicker to have a less porous surface.

Many Thanks
G'morning & Happy Thanksgiving mgb...

You're pretty much correct that "anti-mold" paints are standard products with anti-fungal/anti-bacterial components added to the mix. Most of these "additives" are not fungicides or bactericides, rather fungistats and bacteristats - which means that unlike a "...cide", "...stats" don't kill anything. They simply create a surface that doesn't allow for bacteria or gross plant life (mold, etc.) to grow or colonize. The problem with any of these "anti-mold" coatings is their limited efficacy - and, in some cases, the actual "anti-mold/anti-bacterial" component is neutralized by bleaches and detergents used to clean the very suface you're trying to protect.

Along with the added "anti-mold" components, manufacturers will use resins, and possibly some naturally resistant pigments, as a means to further retard plant/bacteria growth by NOT providing a food source for such. Without proper and adequate ventilation though, all sorts of "organic" material can gather on the walls (such as soluble salts, soap residue, etc.) that WILL provide a food source for mildew* growth - so while the added mildewstats will keep mildew from growing on the paint, it has little effect on those films that may have attached themselves to the paint coating - which brings up the last sentence of my first paragraph regarding bleaches and detergents...(that may have been the longest run-on sentence I've ever constructed)

* from now on I'm just calling everything mildew (mold, fungus, bacteria, etc)...it's easier.

Now, after saying all that, mildew-resistant-acrylic paints help but the most effective way of controlling mildew is to create air flow and ventilation. Make sure your exhaust fan is large enough to move a sufficient amount of air - and run it for 10 - 15 minutes following a shower - then wiping condensation from walls with a soft, non abrasive cloth.

Good luck - I hope this information was somehow helpful.

P.S. - Products manufactured with anti-mildew components built in are way more effective for a longer timeframe than the after manufacture stir-in mildewcides (and safer).

Last edited by ric knows paint; 11-28-2013 at 03:23 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (11-28-2013), ToolSeeker (11-28-2013), Will22 (12-03-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 274

very informative.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb7 View Post

Many Thanks
Hey there, I understand what you mean. I have had mold problems in my house before as well and although the problem was fixed we had to figure out how to cover the stain on the wall. There are all kinds of products out there that you can use for mold stains. Abatix has all kinds of variety for mold resistant coating, some of which are priced very reasonably compared to others. Here's a link to one for example: ["abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=CCP625-001&catlist=46" Concrobium Mold Control, 1 Gallon] Good luck, I hope this helps!
jenfour6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,224

[QUOTE=jenfour6;1343562]Hey there, I understand what you mean. I have had mold problems in my house before as well and although the problem was fixed we had to figure out how to cover the stain on the wall. There are all kinds of products out there that you can use for mold stains. Abatix has all kinds of variety for mold resistant coating, some of which are priced very reasonably compared to others. Here's a link to one for example: ["abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=CCP625-001&catlist=46" Concrobium Mold Control, 1 Gallon] Good luck, I hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Considering the original post is 5 months old, I doubt this information will be of much help now.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote