Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #1

Share |

moisture ruining my ceiling

heres the deal. my bathroom doesnt have a window. it only has a vent/light directly in the middle. im having problems after showers with water dripping from the vent. i went into the attic to check if maybe the roof was leaking. its not. the vent has a metal elbow that comes off it from horizontal to a vertical angle and connects to a long hose (like what youd use on a dryer). that is routed to a vent in the roof. i have blown-in insulation all through out my attic. im guessing the hot air is condensing in the metal elbow and leaking all over. when i was in my attic i checked around the vent and found wet insulation and can see a little damage to the ceiling panels. i dont know anything about houses. i know cars. i took a picture and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? should i change the metal elbow to plastic? do you think i can save the ceiling panel? if so how would i fix the paint thats peeling? i think the guy who did it used cheap paint cuz its pealing at a couple other places in my house. thanks for any help. lemme know if you need more pics or any info.

redhotneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

How hot's your neon? If you did the work on it, then you can do work on your vent.

But here's my warning: House DIY isn't like turning a wrench. you aren't just replacing parts. And it's hard to know what really needs to get done until you get everything apart. Lots of the time when you undertake step '1' you discover you have to do 'X' 'Y' and 'Z' before you can think about going to step '2'. I've done some major work on my car, but none of it ever made me weep like trying to troubleshoot a 'little problem' in my house.

Look at what you have to do, budget some time and money. I find it useful to actually write it down (keeps me honest). Then double the amount of money and triple the amount of time you think you'll need.

Here's my $.02.
- Remove any insulation that is wet - replace.
- inspect rafters/ceiling panel (are they wood?drywall?) for rot. Give 'em a good poke in several places with a screw driver. If you have some rot you may have to replacing.
- Re-run the vent so that you have a little bit of a slope to the exit - that way condensation will roll out - instead of dripping into your bath.
- Remove any loose paint - use a good primer that blocks stains - repaint.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #3

The first thing I'd check is if there is blockage in the exhaust going to the vent in the roof. Disconnect the exhaust at the roof vent and see if there is possibly blockage. You never know what kind of handyman the last owner was.

Just my two cents, rredogg
rredogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

You've got moisture
Check for blockage or disconnect...failed motor, loose or improper exhaust connection...blockage somewhere in the tube...
That's probably not all condensation...if any of it is
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #5

finally got back up in to the attic. took down the vent tube. its clear besides for being dirty. i put my hand inside the vent discharge and there is a swinging door that is suppose to open when air is moving past is. im guessing thats the problem so i removed the door.

poked around w/ a screw driver and went through the ceiling. its maybe a 2x2in hole. patchable? i seen this kit at walmart that says it will patch holes up to 12in. think itll work? if not ill have to talk to my uncle. im heading out to get a new vent tube, just in case.

if you guys have any input lemme know. thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 02:43 AM   #6

Lightbulb

I dunno whos bright idea it was to make bathrooms with no windows ( like those in center of house ) or shore up the window wall of apt. bathrooms and put vents there instead ( usually with cheap tub surrounds...) but it leaves you with a dark small room with little joy...and often creates other moisture problems instead of solving them. If neon's bathroom was formerly with window, then it is poor/cheap renovation that may have faulty venting or motor ( or flap that won't open ). Air circulation is really compromised in these lil rooms, so getting moisture away from cold ceilings is paramount!

a: shower with door open, leave open afterwards
b: install somekinda grating ( non-see thru ) in top section of door
c: remove about one inch off bottom of door ( helps with b )
d: make sure ceiling not getting cold ( throw lil extra pink above bathroom )
e: cold air ( from rooftop??) could be cooling inside of vent tube ( this elbow?),but would hafta be really cold, and air ( wet ) would hafta move slowly to condense alot.

footnote: regarding "a"...even just leaving it open a little during shower,( but if not leave it open when yer done..). We live in apt. and this happens when rad in bathroom not working...you got any heat in there?
nomorebeige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorebeige View Post
I dunno whos bright idea it was to make bathrooms with no windows ( like those in center of house ) or shore up the window wall of apt. bathrooms and put vents there instead ( usually with cheap tub surrounds...) but it leaves you with a dark small room with little joy...and often creates other moisture problems instead of solving them. If neon's bathroom was formerly with window, then it is poor/cheap renovation that may have faulty venting or motor ( or flap that won't open ). Air circulation is really compromised in these lil rooms, so getting moisture away from cold ceilings is paramount!

a: shower with door open, leave open afterwards
b: install somekinda grating ( non-see thru ) in top section of door
c: remove about one inch off bottom of door ( helps with b )
d: make sure ceiling not getting cold ( throw lil extra pink above bathroom )
e: cold air ( from rooftop??) could be cooling inside of vent tube ( this elbow?),but would hafta be really cold, and air ( wet ) would hafta move slowly to condense alot.

footnote: regarding "a"...even just leaving it open a little during shower,( but if not leave it open when yer done..). We live in apt. and this happens when rad in bathroom not working...you got any heat in there?
its funny that you talk about a cheap tub surrounds because i have a glue up surround. very cheap. we have a furnace vent in the bathroom so there is heat. we have blown in insulation on top of roll down insulation through out our attic ( real fun trying to walk around up there). i keep the door open all the time while using the shower but the wife get cold and refuses to have it open. i didnt really like this house but we were being forced out of my parents house and this was the best deal for our price range.