Moist Bathroom - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

moist bathroom

I am about to remodel my Mother's bathroom, which holds moisture.
1. What is the best primer for mold?
2 And what is the best paint to use once I've primed the walls?
3. What is the best sub flooring to use before I put ceramic tile down so tile doesn't crack?

Advertisement

woman'swork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,472

moist bathroom

Your first issue should be taking care of that moisture. Any work you do will quickly be ruined if the moisture issue isn't resolved. Does the bath have a vent fan to carry exhaust and moisture outside? If it doesn't, you will want to install one. As for primer, there is not one on the market that will cover mold and seal it. You will have to thoroughly clean and rinse the walls before priming. There are literally hundreds of cleaners on the market for this purpose. After that dries you can apply Zinsser's 1-2-3 Primer and topcoat with any quality latex paint such as SHerwin-WIlliams SuperPaint..........this should give you a start.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #3

moist bathroom

I would go after the source of moisture first (as Gymschu said). Do you recall if the toilet tank is moist on the outside during the winter (sweating)? Check the connection of the supply lines to the sink faucet also to be sure you don't have a dripping fitting. Does the bathroom tub shower or faucet drip continuously- that can also contribute the moisture problem.

Be sure you have or get an exhaust fan that is rated for a space larger than the sq feet of the bathroom, this will also help keep it dry once the moisture problem has been corrected.

Brad Thomas

Classic Clawfoot Tubs
http://www.classicclawfoottubs.com/
ClassicClawfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Handyman

moist bathroom

Proper ventilation of the bathroom is the main priority. Make sure the fan is working and is of proper cfm for the bathroom size. Zinsser fastprime2 is a great primer to use. I would get as much of the mold off the walls as possible and then treat it with a mold killer. Any gloss interior paint for kitchens and baths will work. And for the underlayment before tiling, I would use durrock/cement board. They come in 4'x4' sheets at home improvement stores.
jamalc6996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,050

moist bathroom

Quote:
3. What is the best sub flooring to use before I put ceramic tile down so tile doesn't crack?
I'll jump in to say there is more than one way to do this. But, with no more information than you have provided I would suggest you look at using Schluter DITRA for a tile underlayment. Need more information before any more help can be provided.

You could start nother thread in the tile section to address the tile issues.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

moist bathroom

Ask your paint store for recommendation for a paint mildecide additive. It will not abate the problem bu will innoculate the paint somewhat from discoloration. Benjamin Moore used to sell a kitchen and bath enamel with such already in it. A larger than seemingly needed exhaust fan, as suggested, will make a big difference.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 260

moist bathroom

All above posters obviously have HUGELY good points!!

Ventilation is critical!

Take the time....do it right.
The Ditra membrane is a spendier way, but the absolute best if done right.

Faron

Advertisement

Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote