Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #1

Share |

Mixture for soaking cedar shingles

I need to give you some history before I ask my question. About 5 years ago, I put red cedar shingles for siding on my home located in the Finger Lakes area of NYS. Everything I had heard from experienced tradesmen and internet research at that time indicated that boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits in a 2:1 mix provided the best preservative for my shingles after soaking for 48 hours. I had some gallons of Woodlife Preservative (taken off the market due to containing penta) that I added to the mixture. To date, the shingles have held up just fine, even the south exposure. The only mildew I have experienced is in an area where I need to trim a pine branch and part of an apple tree my wife wouldn’t let me cut. That is coming down now. I have a new building that I need to cover with cedar shingles and planned to do the same soaking procedure. I don’t have any of the Woodlife left to add to the mix. I started researching for another product to add to my brew and have been seeing comments that mildew loves the oil. No one said that before. There are sites that list mixtures that contain chemicals such as zinc naphthenate. Here is the problem. I have already purchased the boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits…a sizeable investment. Do I really need to have a chemical in the mix since I am not located in a humid area and can fix the shade issues? If I do need to add something to the mix, is there a company who can sell chemicals such as this and which one would be the best one? Incidentally, the place where I buy my building supplies called one of the big preservative companies with some questions about their products and one of the chemists said that boil linseed oil and spirits still make the best preservative. Huh?

Keuka Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
About 5 years ago...boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits in a 2:1 mix provided the best preservative for my shingles after soaking for 48 hours....have been seeing comments that mildew loves the oil. No one said that before
That's because it wasn't true 5 years ago

1) I'm not sure how this myth got started, maybe it's because oil's on it's way out for other reasons (VOC laws)...but oil based products are not mold magnets
Technically...under certain conditions, mainly lots of mold spores, which is not a real good situation to have, oil-based products can harbor more mold and mildew than their latex counterparts
Of course, in those situations (high mold areas), regular cleaning is needed regardless of the coating's base
And that does leave out that oil-based products will generally last much, much, longer (not 30% longer but 300-500% longer)
So...it's really not so cut and dry as many would like it to be

2) You do not need to add anything else to your mix

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate the advice. Funny. You would think I would have learned to trust my knowledge, experience and instincts by now. Scheeeeeech....
Keuka Lake is offline   Reply With Quote