Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #1

Share |

Mismatched white cabinets

My landlord hired me to remodel my own kitchen - replacing cabinets and counters, etc. Toward the end of the project, he decided to hire a pro to paint the cabinets as I don't have any experience with a spray gun. Fine by me. I had already bought the white paint at this point.
The painter guy was busy and kept delaying the project, so I decided to paint the frames myself (with a roller), so that I can finish moving all the food and dishes back in.
When the painter is finally ready, I give him the doors and the paint. He returns from his shop, having sprayed the doors with a white lacquer, a different shade than my paint.

The lacquer looks great, in fact I like the shade better than the one I picked out. But I think it was rude and irresponsible of him to do that without telling me. Before I complain, I want to know what my options are. Is it possible to put lacquer over the paint?

ebalsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
Painting contractor

What paint did you use? Did you at least backbrush the cabinet boxes? Roller stipple with sprayed doors is going to stick out like a sore thumb. With proper prep you can use the same paint he used on your boxes.

Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #3

I don't know what you mean by backbrush. I used a mini foam roller, and IMHO the paint job looked pretty good before the doors were installed.
ebalsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #4

Yea Dog he didn't spray the frames. The difference in the shade may be because yours is just paint, his is lacquer this would give it a different look. and yes you can put lacquer over paint, he did. Get together with the painter and see if he used the same paint. If he did maybe you could work out something for him to come back and topcoat.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-08-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:11 AM   #5

Yes. its really disappointed but you can use lacquer over the paint.
EarlWebb is offline   Reply With Quote