Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Share |

Mind numbing

We are building a new house and now it is time to paint. I am having one hell of a time deciding what paint colors to go with. We selected the Andersen 100 windows in Sandstone. The windows have no extra trim so what to do with colors. Should I paint the house to match the windows and then it will look like the windows blend in or do I got lighter? Or does it even matter? I was hoping to get the trim and gutters to match. They are doing coated seamless gutters so I have a good choice of colors to pick from.

Any ideas or inout would be great.
amuffly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Mind numbing

Since you are at square one, how about a trip to the library to look over magazines and books with exterior color suggestions?

The major trend that cycles is whether to blend the home with the landscape or to have it stand out from it. I am not sure where we are with that. You should also think about what the exterior will look like in different seasons. And finally, give some thought to what neighboring houses look like.

There is a place in Central Illinois I call the Leprechaun Whorehouse. It is beautifully painted in more shades of green than exist in all of Ireland. It is so out of context it is hilarious.

Finally play around with one of the online virtual painting programs. Pick a pre-masked photo with features similar to your house or upload photos of your house and mask off the painting areas. Then try as many color schemes as you want. I use the one from Benjamin Moore for clients but Sherwin Williams and others have them too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

Mind numbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuffly View Post
We are building a new house and now it is time to paint. I am having one hell of a time deciding what paint colors to go with. We selected the Andersen 100 windows in Sandstone. The windows have no extra trim so what to do with colors. Should I paint the house to match the windows and then it will look like the windows blend in or do I got lighter? Or does it even matter? I was hoping to get the trim and gutters to match. They are doing coated seamless gutters so I have a good choice of colors to pick from.

Any ideas or inout would be great.
If you have a color in mind....start there. See if it flows with gutters, windows, etc.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Mind numbing

I would also suggest getting a decorator that is good at helping with these decisions. I have one that I bring in when people need help- charges a flat rate for just color consultation- and is well worth it .
Much better than struggling with it, not having a clue and then making a mistake that you have to live with for years.
Gymschu (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
jschaben

Mind numbing

There are a ton of home design software packages from freeware up to whatever your wallet's threshold of pain is. Many will allow a download of a picture of the house and you can just play with all the colors you want.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #6

Mind numbing

Walk around a neighborhood you admire and look at the houses. You can get a lot of ideas that way.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #7

Mind numbing

It's all about personal taste. I agree you should just look around in magazines and neighborhoods to see what you like.

Can you do shudders? Either way, personally I think exterior paint on houses looks best when it is one or more shades of the same color. E.g. dark blue window frames with light blue siding.
BeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #8

Mind numbing

A pic of your house would help drastically here...

Make sure you get samples and put them on your house! That is the only way to be sure of a color. Lighting is significant, and swatches are not perfect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote