Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Mildew on Pressure Treated Fence

I live in South Florida and my rear yard is surrounded by a PT fence. As the fence aged black mildew/mold has grown towards the bottom. I pressure cleaned the entire fence and it now looks new again. My question is should I now seal the fence with a product such as Thompson's Water Seal or use a stain or paint. I need a product which will keep the mildew/mold from growing on the fence.

joe3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Once the fence is completely cleaned and free of mold/mildew you will want to seal it. I would not recommend Thompsons, it is more of a wax that sets on the surface and wears off after a few months. I would use a solid stain, such as Cabot ProVT. It is a 100% acrylic solid stain and an acrylic will resist mildew/mold longer than an oil base stain will. Make sure th temperature is right for staining and that the fence is completely dry.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3534
I live in South Florida and my rear yard is surrounded by a PT fence. As the fence aged black mildew/mold has grown towards the bottom. I pressure cleaned the entire fence and it now looks new again. My question is should I now seal the fence with a product such as Thompson's Water Seal or use a stain or paint. I need a product which will keep the mildew/mold from growing on the fence.
The "best" product for your app. would be a Sikkens SRD
Though a Cabot or Ben Moore "Natural" would be a close "second"

Thomson's is not even in the running
If you need a "true clear", I'd say Wolman's "Rain Coat"

Any/All would be better than Thompson's Water Seal
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote